1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master Chef: Junior Edition - Full Season S01

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sharkster, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1 of 87
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    So? Am I, probably the least likely to watch this, the only one watching?

I'm really (really!) not a kid person, so I didn't think I'd watch but since they revised the name and my 'Master Chef' SP picked it up I figured I'd give it a look-see.

Well, imagine my surprise in finding that it's really good! These are not like the kids I see 99% of the time. These are smart, polished, caring, polite kids who can cook. I mean they REALLY can cook!

In E01 they started with 24 kidlets and had a challenge that whittled it down to 12. The one heartbreak was this tiny little guy with so much personality and I was so bummed when he got the ax. He cried. :( I cried.

In E02 the 12 remaining kidtestants did a mystery box and one winner got to choose what everybody else would cook. This was one of the younger kids who is simply amazing (many of them are!).

So, they are doing this just like the adult version but what I am the most impressed with is these kids. Imagine that! (if you knew me, you'd probably be shocked out of your chair)

So? Who's in?

2. Oct 6, 2013 #2 of 87
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I also cried when that little 8 year old got cut -- he was a cutie with a ton of personality and would have been great on the show!
    I am so impressed with these kids. Most seem like good sports, too-they applaud for each other rather than scheme and plot and throw the 'evil eye' like the adults do!
    That 13 year old, Alexander, is an early favorite, the macaroons he churned out in the first ep were a-ma-zing! Grant was so funny-"I want to take these in the corner and eat them myself, but I am going to be nice and share..."
    The chefs are nice to them, too...they have really dialed it back-- although they sometimes seem to tease them a little for dramatic effect...but they offer constructive criticism and always have something positive to say.
    I am really enjoying the show. So cute how some of the kids have to stand on stepstools to reach the counters! Adorable!

3. Oct 6, 2013 #3 of 87
    sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh, I love the good sportsmanship of encouraging each other and celebrating the successes of the others. I'm a sucker for good sportsmanship, though, which is why a lot of competitions that have nasty, ugly people just turn me off.

Yeah, Alexander is amazing too. I also like the little guy who won the mystery box challenge (forgot his name already).

What blows my mind - I'm in my 50s. I've been cooking since I was 6. I can cook and make some freaking awesome stuff. Do I cook like these kids? Hellno. They impress me intensely.

The only bummer is the heartbreaking moments of somebody getting axed. But it's heartwarming also. I love how, unlike with the adults (really, the only difference I've seen so far), they get to keep their MC aprons when they get eliminated. That's cool.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #4 of 87
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I don't watch the grown-up Master Chef, but I'm watching this.

I was rooting for the challenge to be the up-scaled fish fingers, but alas, it was not to be. :(

5. Oct 6, 2013 #5 of 87
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Count me as liking it too.

I love how it is an overall positive experience.

Amazing how these kids can not only cook, but their presentations look great too.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #6 of 87
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I don't usually watch Masterchef, but when I saw it was Masterchef Junior, I set it to record as a possible show my whole family will actually want to sit down and watch together. After last week's, we had a winner! The kids LOVED it.

I, too, was pushing for the charismatic 8-year-old who was eliminated last week. Now I'm pushing for Jack (who loves his Hawaiian shirts).

The only thing I really don't like is their prize for being the winner of the whole show: a trophy. Really? No large cash prize in a trust?

But yeah, we've quite enjoyed both episodes. My kids are 11, 9, and 8.

Greg

7. Oct 7, 2013 #7 of 87
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    On one of the episodes, they announced the cash prize was $100,000. I remember because they asked the kids what they would do with the money and more than one of the kids said they wanted to open their own restaurant.

8. Oct 7, 2013 #8 of 87
    Enrique

Enrique Active Member

May 15, 2006
    Correct "After the audition round, two contestants are sent home per episode. The winner receives a prize of US$100,000 and the MasterChef Junior trophy." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterChef_Junior

9. Oct 7, 2013 #9 of 87
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    These kids could compete with the Hell's Kitchen riff-raff. 9yr old Sarah is a cutest button ever!

10. sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    I'm in. Enjoying it so far!

My 4yo asks to watch with me and is always asking "Did he win? Did he lose?" after they taste each dish. :)

11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Confirmed in a Fox press release:
    Personally, I think it would be better without the cash prize, for one reason: this isn't "nationwide" in any remote definition of the term - two of the original 24 are from the San Francisco area, and the rest are either from the Los Angeles or New York City areas.

12. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    That makes me feel a lot better about it. I remember watching the first episode, and all the kids being so excited about the apron "prize", then drooling over the trophy and don't remember mention of the $100k. :)

Greg

13. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    I'm enjoying it just like any other season of MasterChef. I just believe there is more going on behind the scenes that we don't see with the juniors. Regardless, it's been interesting and fun so far.

14. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Is Kitchen Nightmares still in production?

If so, how long will it take before Chef Ramsay tells one of the hapless cooks "I know eight-year-olds that can cook better than you!" ;)

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    How the heck do these kids know how to cook this stuff? (rhetorical)

Plus, I think they're being MUCH nicer to the kids. I highly doubt they'll actually spit out the food like they do with the adults. So far, they've just said things like "it's a little bit dry", and something like "it's not up to the level of your previous food", even to the girl who was sent home this week whose food seemed MUCH worse than the other contestants'.

One thing I have noticed is that I think they should have built risers behind the cooking stations, or at least the ones assigned to the extremely short kids. They seem to just have a small little square step stool, and I could totally imagine falling off of one whole holding a hot pan!! i.e. they couldn't reasonably lower the cooking stations, so just build a foot-high (or whatever) "stage" covering the whole distance between that and the station behind it.

16. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Agree.

In one scene when they discussing the best 3 burgers, I saw her eating some of her burger. Pretty sure it takes a bit of 'real' time to do all we see and the kids get hungry. :D

17. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Those kids are just amazing! The food they are turning out is mostly already restaurant quality and their understanding of flavors is incredible for their ages!

Not that I doubted it, but I'm impressed with the encouragement the three judges are giving the kids even for the poorer dishes. I hope this continues and doesn't turn into a b*tchfest like the last series of senior Masterchef did. That just wouldn't be fair.

18. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There is pretty much zero chance that you are going to see any of the chefs yell at the kids for having a bad dish. Not that they probably don't let something slip out, mind you, but I doubt that the producers would allow it to air. That has to be one of the reasons they started with the Top 24 rather than showing a bunch of kids making disastrous dishes trying to qualify.

There's a reason Simon Cowell had no on-screen presence in American Juniors...

19. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Chefs are supposed to taste the food before they send it out.

For a burger challenge, that probably means making more than one burger so you have one to taste.

20. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    E03 - Beef Wellington!

Wowzer, so these little kids can slam out a restaurant quality Wellington too? Is there anything they can't do?

I was afraid that the little guy was going to be cut. whew, that the other team made a super-salty one and that sent them home.

I wonder if every week is going to be a 2-fer on the eliminations. Maybe it's because they are little kids and they don't want to draw it out for 12 or more weeks.