1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Market HD Tivo in Development

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by boblip11, Mar 7, 2007.

1. boblip11

boblip11 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    In the commentary for the current quarter's results. Tom Rogers says that a mass market HD Tivo is in development and is a priority for this fiscal year.

Third, we came out of the holiday season with the full attention of our retail partners focused on the important role that TiVo can play in their goal to offer bundles of High Definition television products and services to consumers. We will be highly focused this year on launching a lower-priced, mass appeal High Definition product.​

Press Release PDF
  2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    We will be highly focused this year on launching a lower-priced, mass appeal High Definition product.
    Link to annual TiVO press release
  3. erikrh

erikrh New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    I want to preface my comment by stating that this is just hearsay. I have Comcast in the San Jose Bay Area. This morning I had cable cards installed in my new Series 3. I was grilling him about some of the things I have read on this forum. Here are two of the most interesting comments he had:

1. Tivo will soon be building the boxes for Comcast. (I told him good, because I want that piece of crap Motorala box out of my bedroom.)

2. I will really be missing out with the Series 3, because there is a lot of OnDemand content ready to be launched. Most of the OnDemand content will be High Def.
  4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    Fascinating, thanks for the link!

To everyone that tried to convince me that I (and others) were wrong when we asserted that the S3 was targeted at the high end and not every Tom, Dick and Harry (or their cousin John Q. Public) all I can say is "I told you so!!!" ;)

Hopefully we won't have a S3 repeat of "rumored now, displayed at CES 2008, released sometime 2009"!!!

We get to come up with another name, too! S4? S3.5? S2.5(not quite an S3)? :D

Edit: Erik, your number 1 is pretty interesting, too - from everything that I have read, the common wisdom on the Comcast/Cox deals were that Tivo was trying to get OUT of the hardware business... Potentially with making the Comcast box and this S-whatever (are they the same?) that may not be the case!
  5. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...

On another form the comcast rep are saying that comcast will be using the tivo software in motorola boxes first then in the sa boxes.
    I gues it going to a wait and see.
    I don't like the motorola boxes also.
  6. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I wonder what will allow them to drop the price? Just a single tuner box? smaller hard drive? Or is it just going to be cheaper for them to make now? I hope this one supports VOD, etc. then ill be jumping on the bandwagon.
  7. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Maybe it'll be an OCAP box with their interface on it and standardized setups for cable providers across the US.

(Ow, what's that monkey doing there?)
  8. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    AS for as i know it will based on the dual tuner 6412.
    The present cost for comcast dvr is $11.95. It is expected that it will go up by $3.00 a month more for the tivo software but it supposed to able to do vod, ppv and sdv if it is rolled out.
  9. BoyScout

BoyScout New Member

Aug 9, 2002

We all know how reliable information is from Comcast Techs. :p

I'm glad you prefaced it with being hearsay.
  10. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    What a surprise - a Comcast rep that's 0 for 2. :)

The Tivo product for Comcast is a software download to existing Motorola boxes - there is no new hardware.

#2 is just standard FUD.
  11. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    If it's an OCAP box, then there won't be any "interface" on it when you buy it. Everything (applications/user interface) gets downloaded & installed by the cable company. You only get what they are willing to sell you.
  12. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    I expect the OTA tuners will be the first thing to go. TiVo has to have a clear distinction for the S3 - I don't think they're going to ditch the S3. So my guess is a cable only box, probably OCAP based, possibly working out something with the cable companies so that TiVo could potentially customize the software for the cable company (SVD and VOD possibilities???).
  13. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    So if the TiVo software is running on a Moto box you wouldn't like it?

Often people don't like the TV-Guide application and attribute it to the Moto box.
  14. Toeside

Toeside Circa Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2002
    St Louis, MO
    I think it'll be the opposite...

OTA only, no cable cards.

I'll buy 2.
  15. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Cool. Looks like the scuttlebutt from a month ago was dead-on.

As for features: you can bet your bottom dollar that it won't have CableCard -- and therefore, it should support TivoToGo (maybe out of the gate?). CableCard is the real distinction of the S3: no one else has an HD-PVR that does CC. But every other HD-PVR out there (include the Sony's and WMCE-boxen) does OTA.
  16. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    well if its mass market, i doubt its only OTA. Your excluding half of the united states that cant get ota.
  17. kido

kido New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    i can't see how they drop cable card support. live digital content comes from 3 sources, OTA, satellite, and digital cable. satellite won't play nice, so tivo is left with 2. the ota growth is limited as most stations in major markets have already made the switch, so the real potential for digital content growth is with digital cable. also, tivo fought hard to get the fcc cable card integration rule in place, so they have for better or for worse staked the company on cable card technology.

if i were to wildly speculate, i could see a series 3 lite machine with slightly smaller drive (160GB), dual HD-OTA tuners, multistream cablecard support for digital cable, usb, ethernet, no e-sata, no front OLED display, possibly dropping HDMI for component ala xbox 360. sold for about $299.

i doubt we will see anything until after june.
  18. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    I thought I read that ALL cable boxes, including the cable company is going to have to use cable cards. Am I mistaken?
  19. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    ya, that would make sense. I would think theyd trim it down so that they can sell there s3 for 500 and their new one for 2-300. hard drive, no hdmi would be the 2 easiest cuts for them to make.
  20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    HALF?!...I think that's stretching it a bit...