1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Managing 450 HD hours

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bmgoodman, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    So I've heard some stories about "user profiles", though I don't think there's been any official information on that topic. So I'm wondering if there are currently ANY tools on Roamio to help manage 450 HD hours? I'd like to replace 2 Tivos with 1 Roamio, but I'm not sure my wife will want to sift through hundreds of hours of my *junk* to find the pearls that are *her* shows! :p

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Currently no. There was mention of a three column My Shows coming in a future update possibly this year, but no explanation of what that would mean.

3. PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
    The iPad app helps (at least versus my Premiere UI).

4. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I use the iPad app. How do you feel it's better than the TiVo menu for program organizing? I use iPad to see multiple TiVos, and erase while not at the TiVo. Aside from that, it's still a list of shows.

5. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm don't understand why we haven't gotten the ability to do folders in the last 13 years since Tivo has been around. Doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to program. But, then again, this is the company that still has SD menus on a HD box...

This is another reason why I'm staying with a 1TB box for now. I really don't see a reason to store that much programming on a Tivo. I watch a show and delete it and am unlikely to watch again (if I do, thats why we have Amazon or Netflix). The only shows we watch over and over are Disney movies for my daughter.

6. PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I can scroll down the list of shows much faster than I can waiting on the Premiere UI. I know it's not the same as sorting options, but every little bit helps.

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    TiVo desperately needs to add the ability to have custom folders (directories) so users can file programs where they want and set season passes to point to directories of their choice. It is not rocket science, I don't know why they haven't done it yet.

I don't know why I bought a "Pro" when a Plus would have been fine, knowing I will NEVER need that much space and organizing that much video will be a nightmare.

8. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Got it. And I agree. When I watch a show on Bedroom TiVo and need to erase of other rooms, the iPad App is what I prefer.

9. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Probably the same reason TiVo hasn't added retry on tuning failures (to ameliorate T/A issues).

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the 3 column view would allow you to see shows in a group without actually having to go "inside" the group. Should allow for quicker navigation in/out of groups.

I'm still hoping they eventually add some sort of user profile feature. With 6 tuners and 3TB of space this thing just begs for multiple users. But wading through a bunch of crap someone else recorded is no fun for anyone.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I am just one person. I would much rather see custom folders and recording destinations first. Although after THAT, having profiles would be a good addition :)

12. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    What would profiles give you that custom folders wouldn't?

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think we'll ever see custom folders. Because the folders on TiVo are not actually folders, they're groups. The same show can appear in multiple groups. For example say you download an episode of a show from Amazon. That same episode will appear in the special Amazon folder, the shows folder and the HD folder. The same thing happens with wish list recordings. I guess they might someday add a way to setup a sepecial group with your own criteria as to what goes into it, but it'll never be like a file system where you can move recordings to custom folders.

14. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Groups are fine instead of folders, if they are already doing that then it shouldn't be too much work to add an interface for custom groups. Functionally it provides the same thing folders would, only better since like you said you can tag the same show to be in many groups. For instance, I'd like to add some groups like kids shows, or movies, or dad's stuff that no one else is interested in. Go to the groups ui, multi-select everything I want in the group, then maybe a way to order the groups or hide ones you don't want like HD shows.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    That could work if they let you tag shows. This way you could create custom folders for tags such as genres, movie or tv, premiere, reruns, etc.

16. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    And allow season passes to be tagged in a group too.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    See that seems way too complex and I just don't see that ever happening. I could see them allowing custom groups based on basic criteria already in the data, like genre, but allowing you to manually tag shows or add custom data to effect grouping just doesn't seem like something they would do.

User profiles are much more likely to come to fruition.

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Exactly.

It really doesn't matter if they are tags or groups or folders, it is really all the same thing.... as long as the programs will NOT appear as a single endless list.

We should be able to create custom WHATEVER and then be asked on season passes where to place the recordings (or what tag or group or whatever to use).

It is not complex. The UI already supports grouping by show and grouping by the TOTALLY USELESS "HD Recordings" "folder". They just have to, at a minimum, add some code in the SP stuff, and preferably a menu option under each recording that lets you "move" the stuff.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm not talking about how complex it would be to do, I'm talking about how complex it would be for an average Joe Schmoe to actually use. TiVo has never really be a fan of adding geek centric options. I remember at one point they were going to complete revamp the Wish List section to include advanced Boolean search parameters, they even beta tested it briefly, and then the whole thing got scrapped because it was deemed too complicated for the average user to use.

I could see them maybe allowing you to create custom groups based on a few hard coded criteria (i.e. Movies or Dramas) but I doubt we'll ever see anything like you're describing.

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, all I can do is hope your expectation is incorrect :)

I personally think wading through dozens and dozens of screens of programs is very user unfriendly and most people out there understand the concept of folders and grouping (although probably not boolean searching, unfortunately).