1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man in the High Castle - season 2, eps 1-4 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jan 1, 2017 #1 of 13
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I wanted to discuss but hadn't finished the whole series yet so I didn't want to go into the season 2 spoilers thread.

Starting threads for season 2 eps 1-4, 5-8 and 9 & 10.

I'm actually near the end of ep 9 but may not be able to finish 9 and get to 10 for awhile.

markymark_ctown likes this.
  2. Jan 8, 2017 #2 of 13
    kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Plot-wise, I'm not all that enamored with Season 2 yet...

But I'm loving the folks that do set design on this show. They've taken (mostly) Vancouver and suburbs made some really, really convincing imagery of what the Greater Nazi Reich and Japanese Empire (or whatever they call it) might look like. Indeed, I love the 1960s-era Nazi-inspired kitchen appliances.

Ozzie72 likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #3 of 13
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's been awhile since I watched these eps but there are some pretty big events that happen towards the end of season 2.

I'm at the beginning of ep 10 now.

I agree about your comments about the design.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #4 of 13
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    At first I thought that the New York Resistance people chasing after Julianna were actually working for Smith to play head games with Julianna but I guess not.

5. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm two episodes in, and I don't think it's giving me any reason to keep watching. It feels like this season has started out in Canon City, where advancing the plot goes to die.

6. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^^^
    I don't remember the first two eps well but to me, it gets better and better. As I said, there are some huge events towards the end of the season.

Ozzie72 likes this.
  7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think we should be hinting at what happens later in the season in a thread that's only supposed to be about the first few episodes.

But it should go without saying that any well-written TV show will build to a climax so if you feel the first few episodes are slow, it's unlikely things will stay that way throughout the season.

Ozzie72 and BrettStah like this.
  8. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Sorry... I've tried to be as vague as possible about it and my earlier reply was sorta aimed at ElJay.

As for the latter... I dunno, some shows I've tried watching before were just awful like Earth 2. Don't think I watched ep 2. And, I wasn't interested enough in Caprica to stick around. Not sure if they were well-written.

This show is a bit slow though, I must admit.

9. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I was watching episode 4 and realized that I had very little clue as to what is happening. The film was mostly forgotten after episode one. Julianna is in NY cozying up with the Nazi's, Joe is having family issues, the nazi saved his son at the expense of the doctor, and I don't even have a clue what is happening with the trade minister.

I think I am done. Time to move on.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The beginning of the season is slow and it picks up toward the end, but I can totally understand being bored enough to just kick it to the curb. Unfortunately, even having seen the full season, I don't think the show is good enough for me to tell you that you HAVE to keep watching. It's a good show, but isn't great, and if you stop watching, you're not going to be missing out on any "can't-miss" piece of pop culture.

11. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I stopped watching after two episodes. I haven't missed it. Someone around here called this one of the best ever TV shows and I'm not getting that at all.

12. kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I rather liked the season, although I did think it got a bit slow in the middle.

13. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If some folks are finding it slow and want to pick it back up while skipping all the stuff in the middle, try watching from near the end of ep 8. See how you like that thru the end of season.

Sorry, don't have time indexes as I stopped my month-to-month Prime subscription shortly after I finished season 2 of this show.