1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Tivo Family Friendly (Child Safe)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by byeams, Jun 8, 2014.

1. byeams

byeams New Member

May 31, 2014
    Fired up our new TiVo Roamio last week and the entire family is really happy with it. I'm really looking forward to migrating to the 4 TB drive very soon.

While searching for some disney videos on the youtube app, I quickly realized that there could be some material that isn't appropriate for little eyes there. While I know we cannot protect them from everything in the world, we would like to do what we can to reduce the questions until a slightly higher age.

I've done some searching for ways to make it child safe. Either I'm not using the correct search tools/terms, or it isn't easy to find or possible. With that in mind, does anyone have pointers for making the TiVo experience more child friendly? There is so much great content on youtube, we don't want to disable the app.

I've been working in technology for a long time, so I'm not afraid of technical details, linux, etc. :)

Thanks for any and all input and thank you for this great resource.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    At the bottom of YouTube (logged in), there is "Safety: On/Off" Turn that on and keep the connected devices (IE: Tivo) and logged in. Safety will use SafeSearch for YouTube searches.

3. byeams

byeams New Member

May 31, 2014
    Thanks, that helps! Still seeing stuff that's above what we want a 6 year old to see, so may have to investigate creating a channel.

Really appreciate the pointer in the right direction!

4. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    In addition you can turn off the external providers so that you can better control the experience to just recorded items, tie that in with Parental Controls and you can make it 6yo acceptable.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is NetFlix Kids.