1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Crimes Season 1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hummingbird_206, Aug 14, 2012.

1. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    Not sure I'll be as big of a fan of this show as I have been of The Closer. But I'll give it a chance since most of the characters from The Closer are on the show.

2. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I didn't feel like watching it right after the ending of the Closer. I will check it out in the next few days.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was wondering how they would handle the opening (since Closer had such a distinctive one). And they did it exactly the same...which seems to me to be a statement that this really is a pure continuation of The Closer, and not a "mere" spin-off.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Not a fan of Mary McDonnell at all ( everything she does, looks, moves, speaks, reminds me of Stands With Fist) but I like the cast. I hope the tention between Povenza and Raydor lasts.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was worried also so I thought I better watch it right after The Closer's final episode.

I actually thought they did a great job of creating a Brenda-less series and kept the best of what they had and added just the right touches.

I did question Brenda's husband being there but I guess it makes sense for a first episode and now he'll fade out.

Mary McDonnell. BRILLIANT. I think they played her from minor sub character to the lead perfectly.

I already mentioned in another thread I love that Rusty kid so glad to hear he is a regular
    - although I kinda preferred the serial killer hooker version of Rusty more to the whiny I want my mommy version.

Best line of the night
    what kind of name is Buzz?
    this coming from a kid named Rusty?

6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm with Rusty on this one. What kind of a name is Buzz? I've always wondered.

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Named after Buzz Aldrin, perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin

The nickname "Buzz" originated in childhood: the younger of his two elder sisters mispronounced "brother" as "buzzer", and this was shortened to Buzz. Aldrin made it his legal first name in 1988.

8. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I always figured it was just his nickname, since he's the "techie" of the group.

Can't remember, the episode with his sister, did she call him Buzz too?

phox

9. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012
    back when he was a kid, "Buzz" used to salvage old broken radios, tv, computers and other electronics and build things out of them

so being the scavenger that he is, he earned the nickname "Buzz", short for Buzzard

10. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    On a 10 scale I give the first episode about a 4 but my momentary interim rating jumped sky high when Provenza and Flynn chewed on Raydor. :up:

11. Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy Active Member

Jun 4, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I'll have to say that the biggest objection I have is the suggestion that the legal system's problems be subverted by plea bargaining. I mean, I can see the pragmatic approach and understand that it demonstrates results, but I am a real believer in solving the root cause of the issues. If the legal system is broken, then you should fix it and not subvert it.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Actually, that's just a belated acknowledgement of reality. I can't remember what the percentage of cases that are resolved through a plea bargain, but I'm pretty sure it's well over 90.

Without plea bargains, it would take years and many times the money to get everything through the court system.

13. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I read somewhere that if all defendents refused a plea bargain, it could tie up the courts so much that the lawyers could then claim their clients weren't getting their "right to a speedy and public trial" and have the cases thrown out.

14. Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy Active Member

Jun 4, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Make a distinction between what is real and what is not. In the real world, District Attorney's and prosecutors weigh the evidence collected by police and determine the offenses charged. Then at a later date, they are free to amend the charges, or offer a plea bargain.

The premise of Major Crimes is that the Police stop an investigation before it is complete based on their assessment of the evidence accumulated so far, and the DA offers a plea on the initial offenses charged. That's different and scary. In spite of that brief spike of satisfaction, the pilot episode claims that the investigation was completed and the plea for two consecutive 30-to-life sentances was accepted in less than 4 hours. It's not credible, any more than is a 5-minute DNA test with 100% accuracy. In the real world, DNA testing costs more than Police departments can afford, and is seldom used on lesser crimes than first degree murder.

I mean, if the rules of evidence are too strict, liberalize them. If the Justices are too liberal, appoint different Justices. Whatever the root causes are of the problems you have, keep tweeking the system until it works reasonably well. The legal system today is not working and needs revision.

15. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I recorded it, but have not yet watched it. I like Rader. She's just so goofy she's funny. I hope Brenda and Kevin got out of their financial problems from that Mader prick.

16. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I like Provenza best in this episode! I'm not entirely certain I'll stick with it. I do not like the Raydor character at all. If they don't soften her up a little and make her at least a little more likable, I doubt I'll keep watching!

17. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
  18. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I'm giving it one or two more episodes before I give up.
    The plea bargaining every week to "save money" is a big fat MEH to me.

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm somewhat hopeful they're repeating it so much because there's a plan to have an episode where that approach becomes a seriously poor choice (i.e., they learn there's balance necessary between approaches).

20. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    yeah which is why I figure a couple of more episodes.
    Sticking around because the cast has such excellent chemistry.