1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men - "Signal 30" OAD 4/15/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob Coxner, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a MM episode.

She: Oh, honey, you've had such a hard day
    He: Nope
    She: Umm...this is my first time. I'm kind of nervous.
    He: Nope
    She: You're my king.
    He: Okay

And my absolute favorite was Robert Morse's line "reschedule the meeting". Laughed my freaking head off.

Who knew that Don Draper would turn out to be "the nun" in the group?

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Pete has had that beating coming and I loved seeing it.

3. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Don Draper - plumber for hire! I would hire him!!

4. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Somehow I picture Lane as actually having had a class in Pugilism sometime in his British upbringing...

5. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Roger - "I know we should say, let cooler heads prevail, but who else kind of wants to see this?"

6. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I've been waiting for Lane and Joan together for some time now. I think they have a weird sort of chemistry that's great. I wish the kiss had turned out differently.

I also enjoyed seeing Pete get his ass handed to him. Pretentious dick.

Don is boring now. I want the old womanizing Don back.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Yes. It seemed almost a given.

I also think if it was the old Don in charge of the night out they wouldn't have gone to a party where gum is left behind ;) and then lost the account.

8. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Courtesy of Sepinwall's review, here's a YT link to the traffic film

(Which I last saw circa 1990 when I had to go to defensive driving school after getting a ticket)

9. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I was glad to see Ken wasn't going to give up on his writing, although I didn't expect such odd stuff from him.

I was surprised that Joan didn't pull away from Lane's embrace. Lane's wife must be one of those emotionally cold English women judging by how many women Lane's tried to get close to over the years - chocolate bunny, the girl in the photograph, Joan, and others I may have forgotten. Glad to see Joan back at work. :)

I continue to love how well Megan handles Don. She's so much better for Don than Betty ever was. Speaking of handling Don, Trudy sure didn't take no for an answer! As always, an episode with Trudy is a good episode.

Pete, you're an idiot, but then again, you'll never be happy even when you have everything as you do now. For the sake of their marriage, I hope Pete works through his inferiority complex before Trudy finds out about his philandering. ("Go home, take a shower...." The voice of experience, eh, Don?)

10. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was interested/surprised that Joan didn't pull away, but imo, she also didn't seem to respond - well other than getting up, opening the door and then going on with work. I am pretty sure she has done that with Roger. Maybe I need to rewatch it - did she respond?

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The part where I just couldn't stop laughing was the entire fight scene between Lane and Pete; from the moment Lane took off his jacket right through the "reschedule the meeting". Just cracking up.

(Also loved the part where Trudy totally trumped Don's excuses and basically forced him to come to her dinner)

Great episode.

12. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    I'm not so sure that a well behaved, choir boy Don Draper is all that good for the show. It's nice to see it for the character, but I remain unconvinced that this will work out well for the series. We'll see.

I for one, wasn't all that enamored by this episode. It seemed like it was all about Pete, and I'm not that interested in Pete as a character. Don, Roger, Peggy and Joan, I find interesting. Pete not so much. It was kind of great that he got his comeuppance. That I liked. And yes, he had it coming - for a long time.

13. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Just like every other MM episode, I found this one to be excellent.

14. hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    The delivery of "Okay" was perfect and hilarious. My wife and I were trying to say "Okay" like that for the rest of the night.

15. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I liked the episode because there was a bit more of the old Roger showing up (it helps that Slattery directed this episode), including Roger realizing that he's more emeritus than anything else.

Also interesting how Roger was upset at Ken for writing after-hours, when Roger's own writing efforts were happening during work hours, with his work secretary (before Lane got rid of Roger's secretary as a cost measure)

16. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I found the whole Roger telling Ken to stop writing very odd. I knew there was no way Peggy would tell but how come Pete told Roger? Pete hates Roger, wouldn't he just tell Ken himself? He is a partner.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I really liked that too, Megan really does "get it" and I think that shows overall in the relationship, I know personally I like seeing contented Don, not as dramatic, but very satisfying.

I also liked how his upbringing fall into place with the club/apt/cat house and that while he called it a whorehouse he did so very matter of factly enough the madam had no big issues with him, at least that was my take away.

18. gamndbndr

gamndbndr New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Marietta, GA
    Loved this episode for everything here plus great direction. Interesting cuts such as Ken opens door to leave Peggy's office cut to Lane opening the door to let Rodger in his office. And steamy car stop pan up dissolve to office typewriter.

19. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    So which did you go for? Hard day, first time or King? :)

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Pete got his butt kicked. Naa naa na naa naa!

I started disliking philandering, jerkoff Don. Now I find St. Don kinda boring. I can't win.