1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men S05E10 "Christmas Waltz" 5/20/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, May 21, 2012.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    How long until the embezzlement blows up in Lane's face? Will they resolve it this year or will it be next? Will it take his marriage down with him?

Great to see Don and Joan have a little time together, I don't think we have ever really gotten them interacting before. Love that Joan really knows the level of charm Don has and that Don really has no idea how charming he is. Loved the line, "I guess you can tell them I struck out." "No one will believe that".

Joan, who would want a single mother with an infant? Roger.

Was Peggy in this episode at all?

2. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Peggy was briefly in the episode, discussing the Star Trek script with Harry.

We've seen Don/Joan time before, but Sepinwall says it perfectly in his writeup of Christmas Waltz.

This was a pretty great, layered episode with several mentions into the past. I love things like that, in real life you reference past events all the time.

3. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    What's sad about the Lane thing is that all he'd probably have to do instead of embezzling was to come clean with Don or Roger. We saw that Don wasn't afraid to write a $6k check to cover his test drive.

Joan is probably going to get fleeced in the divorce, since I'm sure Dr Harris has figured out that the kid isn't his.

4. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    And I'm really curious where the money problems have come from. I would assume Lane is a decent manager of money, since that's his role at SCDP, so what has caused him to be trapped behind the 8-ball on his taxes?

My feeling is he doesn't have some vice like gambling that's put him in this position, it may simply be a handful of unfortunate circumstances. In which case he'd probably be totally covered with a loan from at least Don and/or Roger. Heck, we've seen Roger hand out almost half that amount in cash from his pocket this season alone.

I was on board with Lane's pride causing him to do some book trickery with the credit line and bonuses, but forging Don's name seems like way over the line without some kind of life or death or money shark type noose around his neck. I see no good end for Lane and that's too bad, I really like his character.

5. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    It's a wild guess, but the late 60s (the Harold Wilson years) had notoriously high income (income rates up to 83%, plus in some cases a 15% unearned income penalty on top of that) and capital gains taxes, the latter of which generally still applied to expats. I suspect Lane somehow found himself with a rather large tax liability and penalties. I think that he thought he could escape the taxes by staying in the US, but was incorrect?

6. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    "It's one for you, 19 for me." -- The Beatles, Taxman, side 1 track 1 of Revolver.

Incomprehensible why Lane wouldn't simply approach the other partners. I guess it's Sterling Cooper Draper Campbell as soon as they land Jaguar.

In other news, Mother Lakshmi's sexual bribery techniques need some work.

7. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    So were the flowers that Joan got from Don or that other guy at the bar? I couldn't interpret the card.

8. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Don.

The card referenced their bar conversation:

Don: referring to Joan when he first came to the agency - "You got so many flowers I thought you were dating Ali Khan."

Joan: "My mother raised me to be admired."

Card: "Your mother raised you well. - Ali Khan"

9. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I was thinking the loner sitting at the bar looking at Joan was a P.I. trying to get some dirt on Joan.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Lakshmi sexual bribery angle was stupid.

Lane wasn't so bright either.

11. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Fantastic scene -- one of my favorites of the season so far. Sepinwall called Hamm's and Hendricks' chemistry together "explosive", which is the perfect word. Just an electric performance together by the two of them.

12. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you. I could not remember where in the episode I'd heard the name Ali Kahn. I really liked the Don/Joan interaction. And Roger...well, I just love him in every episode anymore. He always seems drunk and therefore sarcastically hilarious. :)

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I was LOLing at Paul as hare krishna. Cracked me up. And Harry getting all into it.

Poor Lane.. Didn't think a guy like him would do what he did. While he isn't perfect, he is one of the most stand up guys at SCDP.

14. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    +1

15. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York
    That was my first thought too and it would have to be Greg that arranged that. If the guy at the bar was in fact, keeping tabs on Joan, I'd be more inclined to think he's an army buddy of Greg's who returned to the US and is now just doing the doctor a favor. Can't imagine how it wouldn't be a financial problem for Greg to swing that on his own.

16. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Pretty sure you guys are overthinking it. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, and a guyinabar is a guyinabar. :)

17. DougF

DougF Active Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    The opening with his lawyer talked about keeping him out of prison, IIRC. That would be enough of a noose, I'd think.

18. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Lane's issue isn't just with the forged check. The $50K surplus didn't really exist, it only looked like it because he got the extra $50k line of credit.

If he was going to get away with the faux surplus he might be able to get away with the forged check, it suggests no one else looks at the books all that closely. Right now SCDP is ahead of the game, being out only the money Lane got (plus bonuses to employees), and not giving money to all the other partners that they didn't really have.

19. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    I'd forgotten about that, yes I guess that would be incentive. Didn't the lawyer also mention the crown was looking for someone to make an example of?

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    :up: I startled the dog asleep on the couch with my laughing at him. Excellent. I kept thinking I couldn't wait for Don to run into him at an airport.
    I liked Harry helping him.

The whole Joan and Don scene from the reception area to the flowers was great. Don writing a check for $6k so they could test it was a nice touch.

Megan being angry at him seemed a bit Betty like, but any wife would be mad if she made dinner and didn't know where her husband went to all afternoon.