1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men - "Far Away Places" - 4/22/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVo'Brien, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I'm still tripping over last night's episode - but I think that was the author's intent.

Synopsis
    In an odd, out-of-body-like experience, Peggy goes off on the Heinz bean executive. She has a stiff drink, goes to see a movie (Born Free, I think), smokes some weed, and pleasures a guy. Presumably after the alcohol and marijuana wear off, she goes back to work like it never happened.

Don and Megan take off work to go see the flagship Howard Johnson's in upstate New York. Megan eats a surreal amount of orange sherbert in just a few seconds, they have a surreal fight, Don drives off and like a nightmare Megan disappears. Don looks for her all night, then they fight like crazy people again at home.

Roger and Jane go to an LSD party sponsored by her psychiatrist and go on a wild trip, just like the whole episode. The LSD loosens their tongues enough for them to realize their relationship is over. The closing shot of their post-LSD trip is eerily similar to Megan and Don's, post-fight scene.

The next day, Bert Cooper dresses down Don for slacking off.

I'm still recovering from my Mad Men-induced trip last night. :p

Discuss.

2. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    You have to be a fan or from that era to recognize right away the reference to Dr Leary. Best time piece show I have ever watched.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I loved the way they handled Rogers's acid trip. Peggy tried to channel Don with the Heinz people right down to guzzling booze after she failed. I loved her grimace after the drink. She's no Don Draper although she keeps trying with the way she has her boyfriend under control.
    Excellent episode.

4. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Well, this was one of the first episodes where the late 60s setting of Mad Men and my early 70s childhood are starting to overlap, since I loved the various HoJo scenes. Those took me back to many a childhood trip (including one to Plattsburgh, actually[1]).

Interested in seeing what happens with Heinz, but I suspect Peggy will actually pull something off here. A little interesting to see her fall flat on her face with the arrogance approach to Heinz, since she lifted most of that from Don himself.

Meghan telling Don to call his mother. Ouch.

And entirely too much green screen, but that's hard to avoid when some of the plot is about driving and Hojos, and there just aren't any current HoJos you could film at.

[1] Some of the HoJo's thing makes sense. 1965 was a *huge* expansion year for them, with most of that happening in the Adirondacks, including a new flagship Hojos in Plattsburgh.... but the location they showed, while a perfect Hojo's recreation from the 1960s, wasn't quite correct for what one of their "Concept 65" flagship places looked like. But again, there's limited access to reconstruction material for filming...

5. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    Roger on ACID??

I loved it, and I laughed all the way through it, except for the end when the marriage was clearly over. That's always sad, no matter how it happens. It's always hard.

This has got to be one of the most inventive Mad Men seasons ever. Roger on LSD - flower power will soon be upon him....:D. Nehru jackets are next!

At first, I thought this was going to be a Peggy centric episode, what with her screwing up and then screwing of a different sort later on. But the fight was so well done, it changed the flow of the episode.

And, so much for a "happy" Don Draper - I think I commented on a previous thread that he'd find a way to screw it up, and he's well on his way.

What an episode. So much happened, it was incredible. I too really enjoyed the HoJo scenes. That really brought me back.

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That was....surreal

Roger seems happy...wonder how he will make his run at Joan? Because we know Joan will not make it easy on him that girl will make him work for it.

Don may be boring now but he has some pretty intriguing fights with this wife.

Peggy, what are you doing? She is the moral compass of this show, can't see her basically trying to turn into old Don.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'll admit it threw me for a loop, I had to sit back and then reassess what I had seen in the first act after they started to go back and retell the story.

Loved, LOVED Roger on LSD and the way it affected him, but it was chilling to see his card when they showed the closeup, I never really thought about it, but it made sense. Musical Vodka bottle? the truth, adored them all.

The Peggy storyline was a hard one to accept, they really did give her the hardest storyline, she's trying to follow in Don's footsteps, but doesn't have his overconfidence, and then to get hit with the Ginsberg sub-plot, wow, I didn't see that coming at all.

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I definitely caught that reference. In reading the wiki for Timothy Leary, it says that after he was fired from Harvard, he operated out of an estate in Poughkeepsie during that time, so that must be where Jane and Roger went. I'm surprised Roger wasn't grumbling more about the distance they had to travel.

According to that wiki, G. Gordon Liddy raided the estate and arrested Leary in 1966, so I was half expecting Jane and Roger's evening to end this way.

9. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    The host of the party was just Jane's psychiatrist and her husband, not Dr Leary. And the party was just a modest cab drive away. Roger telling Dr Leary that his product sucked was rhetorical.

10. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    That was just good TV.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think so. Why would they refer to Dr. Leary, who was conducting "turn on" parties within driving distance of Manhattan in this exact time period, if they didn't mean it was the actual Dr. Leary?

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I loved the juxtaposition at the end of the episode, where Don is just beginning to realize that his life is about to get much less enjoyable, and Roger, who has just divested himself of a tortuous relationship, walks in and says, "I have an announcment. It's going to be a beautiful day!"

13. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    From AMCTV.com:

Unless her psychiatrist was Dr. Leary, they went to someone else's party.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Roger's trip was the best part of this episode. His soon to be ex-wife is a great looking lady, the best looking woman on Mad Men.

The good thing about fights back then is that you could storm off and not have to deal with the other person for a while. Nowadays, Don's and Megan's cell phonea, IM, email, Twitter and Facebook accounts would have been blowing the whole internet up. Both of their relationship statuses would have been changed to "Single" five minutes after Don drove away.

I have a suspicion that Don's going to beat the crap out of Megan one day.

15. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    And to think in week 1 people on here were debating if she got fat. Certainly that is settled now.

16. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Also this year the previews have given zero away. It is like Weiner knows he has to cut together a preview but does not want to give stuff away so he just has people looking at each other or saying hello. It is very strange.

17. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I had no clue what a Howard Johnson's was before seeing this. After seeing it was just a diner/hotel with a pool I was cracking up that this was such a big deal. If I were his wife I'd be pissed for dragging me there for the weekend.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    At the time, they were considered quite swanky, as you could tell by the reactions of all the characters when presented with the idea of driving upstate to visit a HoJo for the weekend.

19. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Well, that sort of scares me. I feel my age.

I remember stopping at them on family road trips and being in awe of the 'cocktails' and adults drinking at the bar. We stopped at one in particular in PA and my older brother actually bought a package of condoms in the bathroom. I am not sure if he knew what they were, but I didn't until a few years later - just that they made my mom upset.

I do think Megan is right. Don is treating her like a wife not an employee. He needs to stop that. Well...if he can. He may not be able to rethink his brain.

20. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Oh and I have had that argument with a girlfriend and left her at a location. It was a flashback and it never ends well. I learned a long time ago never ever leave a women somewhere by driving away mad...it just makes it worse.