1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men - "Dark Shadows" - 5/13/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVo'Brien, May 14, 2012.

1. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    It's a warm November in Gotham and loyalties are being betrayed right and left in this episode. Betty uses Sally against Don and Megan to betray Don's past to Sally. Don undermines Ginsburg's Sno-Ball campaign. Burt and Roger go behind Don's back by hiring Ginsburg to create a new campaign. Betty struggles not to betray her Weight Watcher's diet (she mostly succeeds). Henry begins to realize his loyalty to Lindsay might be costing him a career.

Lots of thing to digest. Discuss.

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Keep going...

Roger betrays his soon to be ex's wish to have a 'clean' apartment with no memories, Campbell has erotic fantasies in the office about his train buddies wife, and Sally learns some more about the world of adults and the games they play.

3. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    And Rory Gilmore sideboob!! :p

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That was more than just sideboob. I was shocked there was no nipple showing in that scene.

I loved that Betty's plan backfired on her. She thought Megan wouldn't know about Anna, but instead Don had already told Megan, and then gladly told Sally as well. I wonder if that's going to lead to some holiday binge eating by Betty.

5. Shakhari

Shakhari Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Interesting time with the whole Dark Shadows thing, considering the movie just came out ...

6. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    And Megan dealing with being in the 1%.

With the Sno-Ball campaign, I got the feeling Don had to prove to himself that he still had it in him. With the turmoil that will erupt in a couple years, ads with cops geting hit with snowballs could have backfired.

The scene in the elevator with Draper and Ginsberg seemed familiar, didn't a past season have a similar confrontation where Don said he didn't think about the other guy at all?

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Didn't he do that to Pete once?

8. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I was waiting for the other shoe to drop when Sally asked Don if Anna was the one who called him Dick, but didn't ask anything else. Wow, Don dodged a 50 caliber identity bullet there! :eek:

Anybody recall if Dick Whitman ever did a legal name change? If not, isn't Sally's real name Sally Whitman? That kind of takes the bark off the old family tree, eh?

9. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Didn't Sally get an A+, I was wondering if the previews were showing Don and Megan at a school function with a big chart showing Anna Draper.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I assume "Sally Draper" is what's written on her birth certificate -- as far as I know, that would be her legal, real name no matter whether or not her father was using an alias.

I'm interested to know whether or not there really was a feature on advertising agencies in the New York Times magazine on the Sunday before Thanksgiving 1966, and whether or not there actually was a smog alert in New York City on Thanksgiving Day 1966. (Didn't seem to affect the Macy's parade, though.)

11. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I liked Roger's question about how Jewish the client was. "Fiddler on the Roof, are we talking cast, or audience?"

12. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Actually, it looks like there was a smog alert.

Quick Google search for Thanksgiving 1966: It was on November 24th.
    Quick search of NYT archive for "Smog Alert 1966" came up with this from November 27th:

SMOG SWEPT AWAY BY COOL AIR MASS; EMERGENCY ENDED; 3-State Alert Is Called Off as Fresh Winds Come In After a Night of Rain HELP BY PUBLIC PRAISED Most Followed Restrictions, Heller Says--No Illnesses Attributed to Pollution Citizens' Aid Lauded Smog Swept Out by Cold Front; 3-State Emergency Alert Ended The Call Goes Out Reporting System Speeded Weather to Continue Good Winds Fairly Gentle

By MURRAY SCHUMACHThe New York Times (by John Orris) ();
    November 27, 1966,

[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]

The air-pollution emergency imposed here on Friday was ended yesterday after cool fresh air, rising Winds and a night of intemittent rain washed away the corrosive pall of smog.​

If Friday was bad enough to be called an emergency, it's not a stretch to think that Thursday was a high smog day also.

13. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    All that smoking!

14. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York
    From Sepinwall's review of the episode:
    "As happened with the protest from the season premiere, that was an actual New York Times Magazine feature on the ad game, including that photo of the partners from the agency Wells Rich Greene. (Full credit to Adam Bonin for finding that.)"

15. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Betty is something terrible. I think she and Pete should get together somehow.

16. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Did January Jones just naturally gain weight and then the writers wrote a story line to reflect it or did she gain weight just to stick to the script? The latter seems too much while the former doesn't seem right to me either. Just wondering.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Neither. The "weight" is just special effects. She was pregnant and had a baby during the show's hiatus, but by all accounts, she lost the baby weight quite quickly. I wonder if Weiner and Co. crafted the Fat Betty storyline while she was pregnant and weren't sure if she'd be able to quickly lose the weight (hello, Leah), and then decided to keep that storyline even when it became clear the weight would have to be added artificially.

18. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    What was Betty's line...."I have everything I want and no one else has anything better?"... or something equally selfish? No wonder Sally's messed up. Even if you think that way, who says it at Thanksgiving dinner?

Good thing Meagan isn't still at the agency coming up with better ads than Don. ;)

19. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York
    Betty Draper is wearing prosthetics – a fat suit! January Jones is still slender in real life.

The Weight Watchers/Betty storyline is kind of fun and very true to the mid-60s era. [WW was the the *new* thing when it came to dieting then... I remember my mother being on the program] For someone like Betty, with her modeling background and good looks, her internal torment must be unbearable. She's actually holding it together fairly well, considering.

20. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    Best dialogue/lines/retort of the night:

Ginsberg: "I feel bad for you"
    Don Draper: "I don't think about you at all"