1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men - "Commissions and Fees" - 06/03/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Marco, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    I do believe I called that one. :) :eek:
  2. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    That was depressing... I really liked that character.
  3. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Can't imagine firing someone then that happens. The guilt must be mind-blowing.
  4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    There were a lot of packed into the episode tonight. Wow. Not just Lane, but also Sally and the Firestone pitch. After all of that, I liked Don letting Glen drive the car. Nice.
  5. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease

Jun 16, 2001
    No joke. In the grand scheme of things Don was letting him off with a slap on the rist. Steal $7500, then get to resign with no one knowing what you did. Inflation adjusted that would be nearly $50K now.

I did think it was interesting he first tried in the Jag, but it wouldn't start.

Don is right. That moment in his office was the hardest part about starting over. Pryce was a good, smart guy who did something stupid in a moment of desperation. He could have rebuilt, heck no reason to even go back to the UK. At that time there would plenty of places he could have moved to as a British citizen. I wonder what Don will do when his number finally comes up. I don't think he'll kill him self, but I could see him skipping town with all of the money.
  6. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    When they broke into Lane's office, the panicked horror on Don's face was palpable. I kept thinking about his rejection of Adam, the guilt over his suicide and now Lane's, in the same manner... and I think that's what Don was reacting to as well.
  7. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    I thought he was a Dow. Firestone doesn't make napalm.
  8. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    The pitch was to Dow Chemicals.
  9. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Since Lane had been hiding the money troubles from his wife, she had no idea that the check she wrote for the Jag was going to bounce. If Lane was teetering before, that pushed him over the edge. As soon as he tried to start the Jag with the ignition key, choke and starter button I was just sure it wouldn't start, at least not the first time. Trying to fix it, looking under the hood with his just-broken eyeglasses, I felt even more sad for him.

It was a pretty full episode, but I'd wished we saw or heard something of Peggy.
  10. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    And he actually spent several hours balancing the books and putting them in order before he killed himself.

Just goes to prove the old adage about death and taxes. He was literally taxed to death.
  11. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    That was just heartbreaking.

It was sweet to see Sally need her mommy. Betty being understanding and kind and them having a "moment" was just very nice and in such stark contrast to everything else that was going on.
  12. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Poor Henry gets :30 of screen time and it's in that sweater.

This episode was pretty incredible, with wonderful acting all around. I was particularly impressed with Hendricks as she processed what was happening from Lane's door to the guys looking over and confirming. That happened over several cuts, that's not an easy job to remember where you were emotionally from one cut to the next and keep the progression going.
  13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    Oops. I just kept hearing Firestone, I thought it was them.
  14. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Did SCDP have life insurance against Lane's death? I think Pete Campbell said the policy on him covered suicide after 2 years. Of course, Lane made a point of resigning first.

The failure with the Jaguar was a good callback to Cooper's "They're lemons, they never start." line. Lane offing himself in the Jag seems like attempt to make a statement.

Glen may be creepy and weird, but he's not a pedophile.
  15. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TC Club

Apr 5, 2002
    The scene where they were waiting on the meeting with Dow and Roger wanted to discuss Don's play and Don said he wanted to go in fresh is an inside joke so to speak. On the actors studio they said they do not rehearse their scenes they do them on the first take because they wanted to be fresh.
  16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    I know Lane owed Britain's version of the IRS $7,500 but how much trouble was he really in? It's not like they were going to throw him in jail if he had paid the debt and whatever penalty off late.

It was pretty crappy of Lane to kill himself in the office. Assuming he had life insurance, he should have driven into a wall or off a cliff. Anything but obvious suicide. Now his wife gets nothing.

I was surprised neither Don nor Megan thought about hiring a cab to take Sally back to school. It's not like Don couldn't afford it.
  17. DrEvil

DrEvil Evil Member

Oct 26, 2002
    I loved the line that Ken said to Roger when Roger offered a partnership in exchange for Ken helping get his father in law at Dow to switch to SCDP.

Something along the line of - I've seen what it takes to make partner, and I don't want sink that low.

So it appears to me that what Joan did to get her partnership is now known among the employees of SCDP.
  18. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Hmmm, interesting.... I wonder if that nullifies the payout to the firm since technically he wasn't employed there when he died......?

I got a kick out of the Jaguar not starting. How typical. :p My mother owned one and you didn't even dare drive it through a large puddle for fear of it conking out on you. :rolleyes:

Enjoyed hearing the old school terminology Betty used, "Sally became a woman today." Kind of heartwarming to see Sally show up not at Megan's, but instead back at her own home seeking out Betty. I'm glad to see Sally and Betty's bond isn't too far gone. I'm sure Betty was, too. :) :up:

I repeat: I wish I had 1/10th of Roger Sterling's suaveness.

My interpretation of Don's new big-account-seeking attitude: "If this is going to be the kind of crap I have to put up with (Joan whoring herself, Lane's suicide), it better damn well be worth it." Pedal to the metal from here on out, and it better well be a Chevrolet gas pedal. I think this anger energizes Don and wakes him from the creative coma he's been in this season. Of course, this sets up next season's stories.

Strange how Lane's death didn't really hit me until I saw the Mets' pennant in his office - how he tried hard to become something other than what he was, but in the end, he died unable to escape who he had been raised to be - an introverted, rule-following man, subordinant to more dominant males and whose conservative, proper British upbringing closed off much of life to him. Has anyone ever been able to successfully escape who they are?

Watching Lane's wife innocently gift the car to Lane was painful to watch, too. She believed so much in Lane. :(
  19. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I couldn't believe she would be so naive as to write a $6000 check without bothering to see if there was enough money in the checking account.
  20. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I may have only been a $5000 check, she said she got a good deal. When don wrote the $6000 check it was more than the price of the car.