1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men back this Sunday (4.13.14)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1 of 25
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
  2. Apr 8, 2014 #2 of 25
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    spreading 14 episodes over 2 years is ridiculous

3. Apr 8, 2014 #3 of 25
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, I really wish they were not going to do it this way. I can see having one half of a season, then the second half a few months later. But a whole year later? Oh well. I'm looking forward to it, nonetheless.

4. Apr 8, 2014 #4 of 25
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I don't mind too much. Stretch out the final season and savor it...

5. Apr 8, 2014 #5 of 25
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'd savor it if I could remember it.

6. Apr 8, 2014 #6 of 25
    zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    AMC doesn't have their follow on replacements till then so they are cheating rather than have an empty season.

7. Apr 8, 2014 #7 of 25
    NashvilleKat

NashvilleKat Retired Old Fart

Dec 24, 2013
    We'll probably save it till it's over anyway.

8. Apr 8, 2014 #8 of 25
    markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    same thing they did for Breaking Bad, no?

9. Apr 8, 2014 #9 of 25
    kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Indeed. In the end, they'll both end up with about the same average number of episodes (slightly less than 1 per month) over their runs.

Although Mad Men has already had one frustratingly long >1 year hiatus.

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    This show has REALLY lost its luster the past two seasons....esp the last season. I hope I can tough it out and watch till the end, but it's not promising....

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes. It's clear AMC wants to stretch the shows out longer because they don't have viable replacements. But I think the difference is that Breaking Bad was continuing to grow so spilitting the final season into two really helped build the buzz. But I don't think Mad Men is still growing. I think lots of people are becoming disillusioned with it and aren't really excited about it anymore. So it will be interesting to see if this split final season has the same positive effect on the show that it did on Breaking Bad. I predict it won't.

12. Numb And Number2

Numb And Number2 New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    It's only TV so who cares? But this show has taken on an air of smugness. I'm a little fed up with it, soured so to speak. Stupid cultural references have become patronizing. Draper's self indulgent angst, sex, failing skills, and abuse of others have rendered him irredeemable and boring. Wonder what will become of Sally!??! There isn't a show, that's not a show.

With the year plus hiatus and now 7 stinking eps a year the show better be really good or it's gonna be really bad.

If I had a phone and a pen then a TV series would produce 39 episodes per year. Case closed.

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, that's my problem. A year later I'm not remembering much of anything, including things that actually happened to ME, much less a tv show.

I don't mind the way they do The Walking Dead. But a whole year, especially for just 7 episodes is a bit of a stretch.

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Let's just say I'm ready for the string of complaints that are going to come here after the season premiere this weekend.

15. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I love this show. I just rewatched season 6 on Netflix. It had a lot of great stuff. I'm looking forward to the last season, even if it's broken in half. I want to know what happens to Peggy, Pete, Joan, Megan, Sterling, Cooper, Dawn, Ted, Ken, Harry, Bob, the two creative with all the facial hair, Trudy, Cutler, Sally,.....oh yeah, and Don.

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Yeah, I agree with this.

I guess I need to rewatch it, but heck, I shouldn't have to.

This makes me want to not even watch the new stuff at all but just wait awhile till it comes on netflix or such.

Of course, I will watch it. Of course.:)

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'll probably rewatch the last episode, but the link I posted in the OP gives a brief synopsis of what happened and it refreshed my memory.

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I enjoyed the last season. I got a little bored a couple (3?) years ago, but thought the writers made it more interesting last season. I would have dropped it had it not improved, as I thought it had fallen that far. But now I'm back in.

A read of couple of early reviews (no spoilers!) where the reviewers said they really enjoyed what they had seen so far.

When this show is on target, it is really fun to watch.

19. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    This I will agree with; let's hope it hits the bulls eye with the final season(s)...

20. markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    Yes...I am too invested in the characters and story to bail because the season is split. I think it's still one of the best shows on TV, and I want to see how it ends.