1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men 6/16 The Quality of Mercy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Jun 17, 2013.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    First, wow, when I put the title in, this one came up -
    Babylon 5, "The Quality of Mercy", S01E21, OAD 8/17/94 *spoilers*

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=399553

That aside, what an interesting episode.

Sally and Glen. I thought from the start the girls at the school were going to be doing some initiation thing on her.

Peggy. Poor Peggy. She gets shafted by Don again and her great work taken away. Did he really do that to save the day or because he didn't want her to get credit.

I think she needs to find a new company to work for with no Ted or Don around. I couldn't believe they were sneaking off to the movies together. But then the way that office works everyone with any position is off in the middle of the day for hours on end. It's crazy.

Bobby Benson had me confused. I need to rewatch that whole bit with him and Peter again.

2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, I'm perplexed with the whole Bobby/Pete thing too. I always keep the episode in my 'deleted' folder for a while and usually end up watching again a few days later.

I felt like Don did that to save the account, but who knows. I don't know why he should have it out for Peggy.

The part at the boarding school was kind of scary. I was afraid they were going to have something bad happen to Sally. I feel like Betty sees so much of herself in Sally that she cannot stand her. Poor kid - both parents don't seem to give a damn.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Don doesn't like Ted. And he doesn't like the idea of Peggy being with Ted. You saw it with the aspirin ad and with the whole Sunkist thing. Sure, he told Harry he should not proceed, but when it would up working out, he was happy. A lot of money, plus Sunkist didn't seem to care about any potential conflict with Ocean Spray. Of course, Ted was still pissed and saw it as Don going back on his word.

4. Tsiehta

Tsiehta Active Member

Jul 22, 2002
    PA
    My take on the Bobby/Pete thing:

Pete has run into this situation before, with Don. Someone who is not who they claim to be, and the way Pete handled it with Don blew up in his face. This time around, Pete is going to handle it differently.

What I don't get is why. Bobby doesn't seem to be half the powerful man that Don is.

5. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    $8 million in this time frame!! That account would have been huge to have. How much was Ocean Spray offering to pay? How much is Chevy even paying?

6. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I thought this episode was a let down for being the second to last episode of the season.

Don was not happy seeing Peggy and Ted together and so called Harry and told him to go after Ocean Spray even after he gave Ted his word that he would not.

Peggy is so in love with Ted that she can't see that he's not the perfect man she imagines him to be and he continues to marginalize her over and over.

I did not follow the conversation with Pete and Bob Benson at all. At first it sounded like he wanted Bob to leave immediately then suddenly they were working side by side. I'll have to go back and watch again.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Wow!
    I'm very surprised to see folks in the thread saying they didn't get the Pete/Bob dynamic, I caught it right away when he said to duck "I've seen it before" and right away I knew it was going to be a rehash of when he found out Don's secret, only this time Pete has learned and will make it work for him.

I also got that Don wanted to make Ted and Peggy squirm before giving them a safe solution, and as per Don, it's good for the company, but not Ted or Peggy.

And yes I yelled out "OMG they killed Kenny! the bastards!" :)

Sepinwall and T&L are both already up.
    http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...he-quality-of-mercy-ohmigod-they-killed-kenny
    http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06/mad-men-the-quality-of-mercy.html

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I still don't know what the heck Bob Benson does. So he hired himself? He interviewed with a couple of people and just started showing up for work?

What happened with Ted and Peggy? Just recently she was distraught over him spurning her and now they're acting like lovestruck teenagers and not even being sneaky about it.

Don interfering got the company an extra $10,000.

9. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Great articles.

They did mention one thing - Don Draper as a crying baby and even better, Joan as a Jewish Mother.

10. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    Same here! :D I had to pause the show I was laughing so much.

11. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I see why Lincoln has been sponsoring "Mad Men" this season -- the Chevrolet folks have been consistently portrayed as boobs.

Sunkist would care, but they apparently either didn't know about the conflict, or Harry had assured them that it would be worked out (by SC&P dropping Ocean Spray as a client).

I noticed, in Bob's office, that SC&P has already had coffee mugs made with their new logo. (And it is a very "late '60s"-looking logo, with big rounded letters. A couple years later, and they probably would have used Helvetica instead.)

12. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    OMG! I know-Jon Hamm is HILARIOUS! I hope he does more comedy after Mad Men is over-and of course, Christina Hendricks has delivered some deathly funny zingers over the years. LOVE HER!!!

Loved Sally's smile as Glenn fought for her...sad but telling....

"My father never gave me anything..." (Did it just get cold in here??)

"I know how to make a Tom Collins"

Man...Sally is all kinds of messed up...:eek:

13. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    OK what's your South Park reference to they killed Kenny -
    Gone over my head...

Bob and Pete -
    Yeah I didn't get it either.
    Pete appears to try to get rid of Bob by asking the other guy about hiring him.
    Then he finds out he lied on his resume (or something) -
    Instead of getting rid of him using that as ammo...
    He decides to keep him around and tell him he can't make any more passes at him?
    I don't get it.

14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Ken(ny) Cosgrove gets shot by 2 jokers from Chevy out in the woods-all the South Park fans immediately think, "Oh, my God, they killed Kenny!!! You bastards!!!"

Kind of funny...yes??? :eek::D

15. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002

Speaking of killing Kenny, the Bob Benson character reminds me of Kenneth from 30 Rock.

16. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    HA! When Pete said, "I want you to stop smiling..." and he did...I was stunned. He never stops smiling!

And the coffee cup really stood out on his desk, because he didn't have his usual cup of coffee, or 2 cups of coffee, and when Pete called him out on that, and then Bob was all, "Would you like me to get you one?" Man, he really is like Kenneth! Rumors of inbreeding and everything! :p

17. firerose818

firerose818 Now 55 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
  18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Pete has already tangled with a shape-shifter like Bob before: Don. When he tried to use his knowledge in a power play against Don, he lost. He lost because Don was great at his job, and because Pete is terrible at office politics. He already knows that Bob is good at both work and politics -- he's on Chevy, who likes him; and the partners have his back and told Pete so to his face -- and thus Pete would not likely succeed in running him out the door.

So Pete "surrenders", knowing it was his best move. Bob can be useful to him professionally and Pete can keep somewhat of an upper hand by keeping Bob's secret for him. The main price Bob has to pay is to stop being so obsequious around Pete.

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I re-watched it last night and it was a lot clearer. thanks.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I guess the part that bugs me about the Pete/Bob dynamic is that it was pretty clear that Pete and Bob were enemies, and that Pete could have just gone to the partners with that news and boom, Bob would have to be fired, wouldn't he? So why not do that? Did he fear some sort of retrebution from Bob? Or that the partners wouldn't care (especially Don, who has a similar secret)?