1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - Word is the sale is coming back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! It will be announced today that the PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)."

Mac: converting .tivo files?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rickeame, Dec 16, 2007.

1. rickeame

rickeame New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    So I bought Toast, and while it's great at getting the files off, I'm not at all pleased with the "tivo doesn't let us export at anything other than a resolution you may not like." It's a bunch of crap.

So, I'm looking for ways to extract the MPEG-2 out of the .tivo so I can do what I want with my PBS HD shows.

Man I hate DRM.

2. hearncl

hearncl Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Download TiVo Decoder from versiontracker.com. From the program description:

"TiVo Decoder is a simple AppleScript droplet which uses the open source TiVoDecode program to convert the video files from your TiVo Series 2 from .tivo files into plain MPEG-2 files. Just drag and drop your .tivo files on it and get an MPEG-2 video out. You can then use other tools to convert that MPEG-2 into something else."

It also works for decoding HD programs.

3. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    Once you've actually exported something, like it appears that you have, typing in the following line in Terminal will enable the "expert" mode and you'll have the additional options.

--------------------------
    defaults write com.roxio.Toast "tivo export mode" -integer 1
    --------------------------

Here's a link to an image that shows the extra modes that are enabled...
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=8589

4. tfreehugh

tfreehugh New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Hi,

I have found a file called "com.roxio.Toast.plist" in the /user/Library/Preferences directory, is this the file that gets modified by the Terminal command? If so, do I need to be in that directory to get it to work? Please let me know as I tried it from my "home" directory and I don't see the expanded list of choices for Export. Thanks.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, you run the defaults write command from anywhere.

6. hearncl

hearncl Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Which version of Toast are you using? As far as I know, the expanded choices appear in Toast 8, but not in Toast 9. You do seem to get some increased resolution of converted files in Toast 9, at least for the Apple TV export option. See this thread for more information.