1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low volume and overmodulated audio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Snook, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Snook

Snook New Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Everett, WA
    I have a Roamio Plus, first TiVo I have owned, which replaced a Comcast HD tuner last fall.

On the Comcast tuner, my general listening level for my TV was set to 12 or Receiver -40db, as soon as I connected the TiVo I had to adjust my listening level to TV 20 or Receiver -30db. Same with the TiVo Mini in the bedroom, the TV went from 15 to 25.

I don't have much issue with increasing the volume from what I use to have it at, but this is only a symptom of a more annoying issue. I hear it more pronounced on certain channels, like CBS and Fox, but the audio is overmodulated, some voice distort when they hit certain tones, like male news casters or one that I notice a lot, Harold on CBS's Person of Interest.

Another sign that the Roamio has low volume is that I now have it passthrough the Xbox One and when going from TV watching to playing a game the volume of the Xbox is much louder than the Roamios volume, a volume level on par with what it would be with the Comcast tuner, so I must constantly adjust the volume as a transition between Xbox and TiVo or when I change inputs to old Xbox or DVD player.

I had a ticket open with TiVo about the issue, it sounds like the next step is to contact Comcast to check the line issues. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue. I tried searching the forums and found some low volume threads, but none seem to be quite the same issue or mention any overmodulation.

Do you think it's line issue? A cablecard issue? Something Comcast can resolve or do you think this is just something with the TiVo?

Thank you :)

My ticket if it helps anyone:

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The XBOne does not have a pass through. It always decodes the audio from the HDMi input and then either re-encodes it to DD/DTS or outputs it in PCM after it's own audio has been mixed in. The XBOne also does not apply any Dial Norm settings in the signal which is the reason for it being louder. FOr instance, in my area, the Fox station uses -7dB Dial Norm(Most other stations in my area use -4dB). So it decreases the volume by 7 dB when my receiver decodes it. WHen it is sent through my XBOne it is louder because the audio is not being reduced by 7dB like it is supposed to be.

3. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Interesting. I've owned a TiVo for about nine months, but with it and my previous Comcast DVR I always have to turn the volume up when we watch our local FOX affiliate.