1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love Monkey Premiere, 1-17-06, S1E1 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Peter000, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Anyone else catch this? I'm a fan of Tom Cavanagh but didn't even know about the series until about a week ago. I enjoyed it for the most part, it has promise. It felt a little too staged for me, but I still got some laughs out of it.

Also, anything shot in NYC is a bonus. :) It's fun seeing the local scenery.

Plus... Love Monkey?? How could anyone NOT watch a program with that title? :D
  2. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Watched, enjoyed, looking forward to a few more shows to really make a decision. For now season pass stays.
  3. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm going to be recording it on our second TiVo. It's up against SVU, which is going to make it a tough sell.

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I'm going to. :)
  4. Johnny Dazzle

Johnny Dazzle New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    I thought it was a fun show. I can't wait to hear some of the music they will be playing.
    Season pass definately staying.
  5. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    So, apparently Tom Cavanagh's contract requires his character to have a best friend named Mike, and his character must get fired and lose his girlfriend/wife in the first episode of any series he stars in.

I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the characters and the situation. I'll tune in again.
  6. grant33

grant33 New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Manassas, VA
    I enjoyed it a lot for a pilot. They're always dodgy since they have to introduce so much. It had a few laughs and showed promise. By the end I was interested to see what happens next which is obviously a good thing. I'm a huge music fan, so if they keep showing what goes on in the music industry along with the romance storylines then it could be good. I've heard they're going to have quite a few cameos from real musicians so that alone might keep me watching. I thought Teddy Geiger was pretty good as Wayne in this episode. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I agreed with what Tom said about it being "about the music" in his meeting. Maybe he and Jerry MacGuire can get together and start a music/sports conglomeration. :)
  7. bigcb37

bigcb37 Willing Member

Jun 14, 2002
    I liekd seeing all the music landmarks in NYC...that was cool. Show has potential...wasnt the best pilot though.
  8. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Some similarities, but in Ed his wife cheated on him, and he quit his job in NY, he wasn't fired. Was a big fan of Ed,and I see this being one of my favorites.
  9. jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    The guy that played Wayne, Teddy Geiger, got signed to an actual contract long before the last night's the pilot. And guess who the contract is with....I believe Sony....and if you watched the end credits, you saw that it is produced by Sony Television. IIRC, they will be using "real" new music talent as the "acts" on the show.

So it's sort of like art imitating life.......

Either way, I liked it. Here's hoping for a Julie Bowen cameo, assuming she can get away from Boston Legal long enough to do it.......

And did anyone else that used to watch "Ed" jump up and down a bit when they said "here's the $10 bet....."?
  10. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    I missed that part.
  11. JakeyB

JakeyB Member

Apr 24, 2003
    That's probably the main reason I'm not watching. Plus Tuesday is already crammed full of awesome shows.
  12. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Hmm, I wonder which record label is responsible for "The Essential Bob Dylan," as mentioned a couple of times during this episode. Hmm...

Who needs Julie Bowen when you've got Judy Greer, who looks much better when she's not appearing on "Arrested Development"? :D
  13. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I watched it (in HD) and it was OK. but didnt jump out at me as a crazy cool new show I just have to watch. Will see how it goes over the enxt 6 maybe episodes.
  14. RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    i totally did not catch the friend was gay until the 'date montoge' at the end.

My wife claims she knew... but i can't get her to tell me how she figured that one out...
  15. The Flush

The Flush Anonymous User

Aug 3, 2005
    Well apparently there is a new law that all new shows must have a gay character, so she knew to be looking for one.
  16. njtaz

njtaz New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I liked Ed and Tom Cavanaugh coincidently his friend 'Mike' from Ed is going to be in a new series as well. I believe he's going to be in Courting Alex so i'm going to have to try and catch that as well.

As for the pilot I liked it and it seems to have potential so I'm looking forward to watching especially since I don't really have a 10:00 show on Tuesdays.
  17. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    "Wayne" sounded alarmingly like my friend Terry, who'll toil in obscurity in the midwest because that style of music isn't all that appreciated. (I love it, though.)

He is relatively popular regionally, though. Enough to keep him busy.
  18. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    "Wayne" sounded like every young acoustic guitar-playing guy. They all sound the same. So unfortunately they point they kept hammering in about lasting music and modern classics dropped like a brick due to this fact.

Too bad this show is on opposite Commander in Chief. No SP for me.

Oh, and too bad they couldn't get Eric Bogosian as a regular character.

19. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    CiC is on at 9pm, Love Monkey is on at 10pm.
  20. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Is this show going to be reshown? (my apartment flooded causing me to miss this)