1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of Premium Channel shows to watch over the next few weeks

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by spartanstew, Jul 19, 2013.

1. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I watch several premium TV shows, but since I'm cheap, I only subscribe to the Premium channels a few months per year. Called D* tonight to see if they had any specials and scored all 4 movie channels (HBO, SHO, MAX, STARZ) for $25 per month for the next 3 months.

Currently downloading via VOD the following most recent seasons:

Game of Thrones
    Nurse Jackie
    Veep
    Hunted
    Banshee
    Spartacus: Gods of the Arena
    Spartacus: Vengeance
    Spartacus: War of the Damned
    Da Vinci's Demons

Also, the first three episodes of Dexter and the first episode of The Newsroom (and set up my series recordings for the rest of them).

I should be good until January or February when I do it again.

Man, I love Video On Demand.

2. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Finished the whole season of Veep today (excellent) and just started on Nurse Jackie (on the third episode now).

I wonder if the Premium Channels realize they're losing revenue by keeping episodes of all series available On Demand?

I could pay for Premiums one month per year and see all their shows (but usually have them 3-4 months).

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ray Donovan is currently airing on Showtime I think. I have it on my DVR, but haven't watched an episode yet. It might be worth watching.

Also, you don't like Boardwalk Empire? That's a great show. Maybe you're already caught up. I think a new season starts soon.

I gave up on True Blood this year. I watched the first 2 episodes of this season and just quit. I don't care about what's happening in that show anymore.

4. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I'll look into Ray Donovan, and yes, I'm all caught up on Boardwalk Empire. I probably won't have any premiums by the time it airs, so I'll have to catch up on the upcoming season of BE next year.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Make sure you check the watch by dates. They don't let you keep the shows forever. And I'm not sure if those shows are available once you cancel your sub to that channel.

6. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    See my post above. They don't let you keep the shows a full year. Only a couple of months usually. For instance, I downloaded the first S2 episode of The Newsroom, and I had to watch it by 10/1.

7. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I think the point is you pick a couple months a year and watch everything, on demand, during those months, and don't pay for the channels the other, say, 9 months. You could, for example, pay for premiums in June, July and August and watch everything since September of the prior year.

8. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ahhhh, ok. Makes sense. Just better put a lot of time aside for TV :)

9. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Correct, all the shows have expiration dates once downloaded (most are about 3-6 months away), so I just have to watch them before that date, which shouldn't be a problem.

Anything downloaded stays on the harddrive whether you cancel the premium channel or not.

I just finished the 2013 season on Nurse Jackie last night, and added all the Ray Donovan's.