1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost surround sound

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ducker, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    So out of the blue I've seen to have lost my 5.1 from my premiere unit. I've double checked to make sure it's outputting Dolby digital, and that's all set correctly. Double checked the optical connection as well as my receiver. Right now, it looks like there is some setting on my TiVo box that is keeping it from outputting 5.1

Both recorded media as well as live content is only outputting in 2.1

Any suggestions would be appreciated as nothing sucks more than watching a great movie on HBO in 2.1

Thanks!

2. Larry M

Larry M New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    If the TiVo passes Dolby 5.1+and does not do the decoding itself like the Roku does, then optical will not carry that signal. Only HDMI can do that.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You made sure the Tivo is set to Dolby Digital (NOT Dolby Digital to PCM)?
    Maybe you inadvertently changed a setting on your receiver?

Try switching to Dolby Digital to PCM and then back to Dolby Digital.
    If that doesn't work, try rebooting the Tivo.

:confused: Optical carries Dolby 5.1 just fine.

4. Larry M

Larry M New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    Yes, optical cables carry 5.1, but they do not carry Dolby 5.1 plus. That is what Netflix uses. I don't know about the other streaming providers.

5. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Yes - I double checked this. interesting note - I was hearing the bleeps and bloops in the menu even when the mini picture was showing when I was browsing the menu - so it wasn't properly transmitting 5.1 since when it is, there are no bleeps/bloops unless the preview screen is NOT showing.

So I hit the reboot. Lets see if that clears it up. Also, going to try to swap out my optical cable to see if that fixes it.

Thanks!

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That sounds normal, although I'm not familiar with the Premiere and the preview window.

It makes sense to me because anytime you are in the menus, the Tivo is sending PCM to the receiver.