1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost HDMI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by benmusic, Aug 16, 2012.

1. benmusic

benmusic New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    North...
    Anyone have an idea why I would all of a sudden loose HDMI on my S3. It's been fine for about 5 years. I tried a new high speed HDMI cable, but that didn't change a thing. I went to RGB cables and that works fine. It just doesn't look as sharp and crisp as HDMI.

I called both Time Warner and Tivo and neither could solve my problem. Anyone have an idea as to what went wrong?

Ben Music

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Maybe the hdmi port on the TV stopped working.

3. shadowplay0918

shadowplay0918 Member

May 16, 2011
    Same thing happened to me about a year ago. HDMI port of tv is fine when I tested it with my Blu-ray player. Called Tivo and they said my tv needed to be upgraded to a newer version of the software (which does not exist).

It's just a 32" tv in the bedroom so I just switched to component...

4. Nugent

Nugent New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    This is a known and common problem. I just lost HDMI on my second TiVo HD, having lost the first about a year ago. There does not appear to be a diy fix.

Annoying for me to have separate video and audio...

5. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    Add me to the list of bad HDMI ports. When I wiggle the HDMI plug on the tivo it alternates between blue screen on my TV (nothing) and a black screen (something, but signal not working).

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    The bad HDMI port is a known issue with the S3HD units. Not sure if the original S3 has the same issue. I had one and the RGB wasn't a bad compromise. Certainly better than composite.

7. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    Yeah, component is a close second to HDMI. But I just dropped some money on a new plasma and damnit...it sucks I can't use HDMI.

8. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I doubt you would notice the difference. On BluRay maybe, but surely not on overly compressed CATV programming.
    Besides, there will never be any handshake issues. ;)

Out of curiosity, for all that have lost HDMI, would you give this a try;
    Reconnect the HDMI cable, power down, then power up. Let us know if you see the initial "welcome" screen for 90 seconds before it goes black (looses video).

9. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    Also, over the weekend I was reading on a home theater forum where some people have a problem using short HDMI cable, like a foot or so. When they switched to a longer cable the devices were able to "see" each other whereas before there was no signal. Worth a try.

10. Nugent

Nugent New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    I have this. Very strange, as it would indicate a software or handshake problem, rather than hardware.

11. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    It's not a unusual problem. But, with no solution. One source claims it's the connector, but if so, why the initial screen, not the 2nd which are both 480i (I believe)?