1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of audio but not video

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rolybert, Feb 26, 2012.

1. rolybert

rolybert Here comes Santa

Oct 1, 2008
    The North Pole
    These are on regular SD receivers(not tivo).

Someone who thinks I know about this stuff called and asked. (I really don't:cool::p)

All 3 receivers in the house have a picture but no sound. I have never seen this happen before so I don't know what to tell them or what to look for.

My only thought is a problem with a multiswitch. But can a bad multiswitch cause a loss of audio but not video.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What is the audio connection from the receivers - does it go to the TV? The most common cause for "loss of audio" is the inadvertent selection of "Secondary audio" on the TV, though it seems unlikely this would hit three receivers (and presumably three TVs) at the same time. I can't see that signal problems would cause this.

3. rolybert

rolybert Here comes Santa

Oct 1, 2008
    The North Pole
    composite out to 3 different tvs. And it just suddenly happened so I doubt they messed up 3 TVs and went to SAP. Me thinks this will need a visit from the boys at D*

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Composite is video. What is the audio connection? Red/White analog? Did you verify this problem in person? One thing experience has taught me is that people's description of the problem often bear little resemblance to the actual problem.