1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

losing picture and sound

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tivoknucklehead, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    the past week or so in the middle of watching a pre-recorded show on my Tivo Quad Elite the picture goes black and the sound goes off. The Sony HDTV stays on, but I see the word "Denon" on the screen, the model of my AV receiver. Then, when I turn the tv off and on I notice that the show is still playing uninterrupted on the Tivo and everything is fine again. It has been happening about once per day, every day. I am guessing that it might be a bad HDMI cable, what do you think?

2. zy2238

zy2238 New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I am having the same problem with a TiVo Premiere XL, and a Panasonic TV. The Panasonic appears to be crashing, perhaps from a HDMI handshake problem. The HDMI handshake is also through my Denon AVR, and I get the "Denon" on my now blank TV screen. Also happening every few days or so. Not sure what to do next....

3. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I tried a new HDMI cable going from the Tivo to the Denon and was good for one day but then it happened again. I'm up for suggestions

edit: it also just occurred on my Roku box connected to the same Denon receiver so I can rule out a Tivo issue. It is either Denon issue or perhaps a bad cable connecting my Denon to my TV

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I've had issues just trying to use an HDMI cable directly from either a Tivo or a cable box on one TV in particular. Would always have to switch to another input and then back to the HDMI input just to get the audio to turn on. As such, I've quit using HDMI and stick with component or compostite for my Tivos.

5. ve52001

ve52001 New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I can be in a middle of watching something on cable and boom my picture and sound cuts off too. This didnt happen till here recently. I called and they told me to try turning off the HD menu to SD. When mine cuts off you can hit something on the remote and hear the bong noise, but nothing else happens till a minute or so and then bam its back working normally. I'm wondering if its related to the last software update.

6. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

well since it also happened on my Roku which is on a different input to the Denon than the Tivo I'm guessing it is not a Tivo thing