1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to switch to Comcast with a Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by the_Skywise, Jan 24, 2014.

1. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    My HR10-250 is on its last legs (tuners are dying). I've got an old DirecTV dish (dual LNB) so upgrading to the THR22 means not only buying the THR22 (and which I'll get charged as a "lease") but also upgrading the dish which may or may not be free (I suspect calling DirecTV to upgrade the dish for free will force me onto one of their Genie boxes before I can "downgrade" to a THR22).

I live in an apartment which gets Comcast and am looking to switch to them with a Roamio.

Can I buy the Roamio from a local Best Buy (or weaknees) and then just do a self-install once they activate the service or will they have to have someone comeout and install a default box and THEN I can switch out to my Roamio?

2. Time_Slip

Time_Slip New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I switched from Directv to Comcast. I already had an internet connection from them. Went to Comcast and picked up a self install kit and a cable card(pink Motorola...has to be a M-Cable Card). Split the line inside and called up Comcast to activate the card. No problems. You might have to have Comcast come out to turn on your line or maybe they can do that from the office.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It may require a truck roll in an apartment as they may have a trap on the line preventing video service.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Nevermind.

Attached Files:

5. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    Thanks guys - I'm figuring there will have to be some sort of truck roll to remove the trap. My main concern was that they were going to try to force me onto one of their cable boxes first (to make sure the "trap" was working properly)