1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy a Series 3 Power Supply for TCD648250B (the OLED)

Discussion in 'Buyer/Seller Area' started by TheWGP, Mar 16, 2014.

1. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Well, I discovered my lifetimed Series 3 has a couple of domed caps on the power supply, so I'm looking to replace it - the power supply, that is.

This is the TCD648250B model, the OLED, and the part number for the power supply is apparently SPWR-00008-000

I am aware that I could replace the caps myself, but I can't solder with reliable enough quality to risk this - thanks, lousy fine motor skills (not).

I could seek a local electronics shop, but quite frankly most of the small electronics repair places in my area that I've found (for other electronics repairs) charge $100 minimum to touch anything, usually with some type of "bench fee" before they will even speculate whether they can do the work.

This leads me to think of hiring someone online to do the repair, but that introduces the possibility of shipping damage, and before I go that route, I thought I would see if anyone might have a spare power supply that they'd be willing to sell.

Drop me a PM - it will email me instantly. You can also reply here and that will email me instantly as well.

Thanks!

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If your hands are steady enough to take out and put back in the screws holding the top on the TiVo and the power supply in the chassis, I'd think you could replace caps on the power supply board.

It's about as simple and straightforward a soldering job as exists, single layer through hole board.

What part of the country are you in?

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Yeah, I've had really bad experiences trying soldering in the past, even as simple as this. I've PM'd you my location.

4. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Shipping can be as low as $12, total for the round trip with insurance.

I would think it's very unlikely to have shipping damage on something as solid as a power supply, when packed properly.

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Are you implying you could offer a cap replacement service for an appropriate fee? :p I'm open to the idea of shipping if anyone's got a soldering iron, a steady hand, and some time to make some cash for doing it.

6. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Where are you located? I'll do capacitor replacements for the truly desperate.

I'm located near Sacramento, probably moving out of state in a few months though.