1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for HDMI switch recommendation

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pdimarzio, Apr 10, 2014.

1. pdimarzio

pdimarzio New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Upgraded from a Premiere to a Roamio but didn't account for the HDMI-only output. My TV has just one port and I use it for Apple TV. So I need a switch.

My research has shown that the choice of a switch is not simple. Based on reviews, some switches just do not work with some devices. Even looking at the reviews of a specific monoprice switch I see many users saying it works with ATV, Chromecast etc and others say it does not! Some users have required a powered switch, others have not.

If you use your Roamio through a switch I'd really appreciate a specific recommendation. Extra credit if you're switching a Roamio and an ATV!!

Thanks much for the advice.

2. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I've bought both a five and 8 port switch from Monoprice and both have worked flawlessly with a variety of devices. What very few problems I've had over the years have turned out to be cable issues.

I also bought a two port passive switch which stays in my ditty bag and gets used on the road occasionally, never a problem; pretty sure that came from Monoprice also.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    +1
    I've used several 5 port, 4 port, 3 port, and 2 port HDMI switches from Monoprice over the last nine years. I have no complaints with them.

4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    HDMI only? I've got mine hooked up to component (which I always find preferable since I don't have to wait indeterminate amounts of time for HDCP encryption nonsense to kick in and graciously allow me to see my video :).

5. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I use a 5312: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2 . It worked great for my Premiere, and works great for my Roamio Pro now.

I had a 6416, which was cheap, but incredibly bad and unreliable for me with my Premiere. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6416&seq=1&format=2

I'd avoid that one at all costs. I only got it, because many people told me to get the cheapest one, and that if you were going to have problems, it would be impossible to predict. Perhaps they are right, but I am inclined to think that the 6416 is a useless piece of garbage. :)

6. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
  7. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida