1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longer Buffer

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by awax, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1 of 129
    awax

awax New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Fayetteville...
    Does anyone know if TiVo ever plans to have a buffer longer than 30 minutes? The HR24 I had from DTV had something like 90 minutes. Heck, even the Series 2 DVR40 I had years ago could be "adjusted" to 90 minutes with no issues.

2. Jun 16, 2012 #2 of 129
    gantt

gantt New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I ask for this whenever I see someone from TiVo. My ancient Comcast Pace DVR had a 2 hour buffer. I've never understood why TiVo doesn't make theirs longer, or at least give the user the option.

3. Jun 16, 2012 #3 of 129
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I also don't understand the need for the longer buffer. The only reason would be if you sit down and decide to watch something that is in the buffer. But typically you should be recording that content anyway so there really isn't a need. I know in my use over the last eleven years it would be a very extremely rare situation for me to do this.

4. Jun 16, 2012 #4 of 129
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Agreed. If you are going to buffer for that long, you might as well record it.

The longer buffer was better when the storage space was smaller

5. Jun 16, 2012 #5 of 129
    UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Depends on one's viewing habits. With my old DVR I would get up from the TV and go eat lunch or dinner and then come back and rewind to where I was. Or, I could pause the DVR and come back within an hour and continue watching. Just seems easier than going through the steps of recording and then finding it and getting back to where you were. I guess I'll have to adapt!

6. Jun 16, 2012 #6 of 129
    rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    I agree, I often pause the video and go on a walk to the store thats right near me.

I know I can hit record...but when you have a two hour buffer you could watch 6 hours of commercial free TV (if your getting 15 minutes worth of commercials each hour). With a 30 minute buffer you can only watch 1:30 minutes of commercial free TV.

When I was 13...god I feel old. I would pause on the Disney channel (they had only 10 minutes of commercials per hour) you could watch there channel all afternoon if you just let it buffer for two hours. That was with a Series 2 DVR.

I can also see why its irrelevant with the amount of storage a XL4 can have (480 hours personally) - I can't believe I still have full seasons of shows that started in september.

7. Jun 16, 2012 #7 of 129
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Anything I might even consider watching I hit the record button. Just hit record and pause the program. You won't lose your spot. And the TiVo can stay paused for as long as you want. Hours, days, weeks, etc.

8. Jun 16, 2012 #8 of 129
    rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    What if you want to watch more than just the current show on that channel? Its a hassel to hit record on the next 4 shows in the lineup if you just want to hit pause and go get your chore done.

Before I had a XL4 I used the extra tuner(s) to go to a channel I wanted to watch and would let it buffer up while I watch another program on live TV. Its because I didn't want to record the show, just watch TV without commercials.

9. Jun 16, 2012 #9 of 129
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I go to the guide and hit record. If there is ANYTHING I might be interested in, even if I'm sitting in front of the TV watching it, I ALWAYS record it. You never know if you will get interrupted, or how long you might be away. Or if you even want to continue watching it that day or ever. If it's recorded, it's there to watch later whenever you want. And if you never watch it you can delete it or let the TiVo delete it automatically.

Heck, you can even accidentally hit a channel number and you would then lose your buffer(if not recording) when it changes to the new channel.(Unless the new channel happens to be already on one of the other tuners)

10. Jun 16, 2012 #10 of 129
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I really need a 90 minute buffer, i dont always check the guide when my wife and i leave the house, and quite often my wife will turn on the tv and will see a movie on the lifetime movie network that may of started an hour earlier that she wants to watch,so i always have to check the guide to see if they are showing it again.

11. Jun 16, 2012 #11 of 129
    JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    There's a use case for a buffer option, no reason it can't be set for 4 hours.

You walk in, turn on the TV. A show you weren't recording is 2 hours long and you just came in during the last 15 minutes. This is one time that buffer would come in handy.

12. Jun 16, 2012 #12 of 129
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    This has happened to us many times.

13. Jun 16, 2012 #13 of 129
    gantt

gantt New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I watch mostly news, and at unpredictable times. If there's a breaking story, I want to be able to go back in time more than 30 minutes. I shouldn't have to set up a Season Pass for every cable news show around the clock in order to do this.

14. Jun 16, 2012 #14 of 129
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I don't have a need for a longer buffer, for the most part, but I wonder if they could create a choice in the settings. Let you set your box for 30min, 60min, or 90min. It's probably not as easy as it sounds, though.

For me, I just set something to record if I'm not able to do a 'semi-live' with any given show/s. It seems like lengthening the buffer would just decrease the amount of available space, no? I could be wrong.

15. Jun 16, 2012 #15 of 129
    sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That's a good point. One good thing about cable channels (I watch VERY little on network channels, outside of sitcoms and I have SPs for all the ones I like) is that there are usually additional airings.

When I have this happen I just search for another airing. But, sometimes I've not found one so it w/b kind of nice to have the choice to still pick it up in the middle.

16. Jun 16, 2012 #16 of 129
    gantt

gantt New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Seems like it. A Premiere XL4 is quoted at 300 hours of HD recording. A 2 hour buffer would be less than 1% of that. I think I'd live.

17. Jun 16, 2012 #17 of 129
    awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland

Not that the percentage would be that much different--rounded up to 3%, in fact--but an XL4 would have a 2-hour buffer on each tuner, making a total of 8 hours we couldn't use for recordings. That said, if it were a user-selectable option I think it would be a good idea.

18. Jun 16, 2012 #18 of 129
    sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Good point, but having just a regular Premiere I only have the 320 hour hard drive. With HD channels I find that it's about 1% per half hour. so multiplied out times two tuners (in my case) a two hour buffer is 8% total.

Still not that much I suppose but I think the only way I'd want this to increase would be to have a setting choice with increments. I have a LOT of SPs, especially on my living room box, and sometimes I'm maxed out already with the combination of what is in 'my shows' and what is in 'to do'.

19. Jun 16, 2012 #19 of 129
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Easy solution: don't watch live TV. I haven't watched a "live" program in 12 years. There is absolutely no advantage to watching "live" TV, but there are quite a few disadvantages. If you have properly set up your TiVo, and there is something interesting on, the TiVo will record it. If it isn't interesting, why watch it?

20. Jun 16, 2012 #20 of 129
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I vote for an option to disable it. If the same option also allows one to increase the size of the buffer, I wouldn't complain.