1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Channels Lost...Need New Box

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dnamertz, May 19, 2012.

1. Dnamertz

Dnamertz New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    On my old Directv tivo box (which is probably 7 years old), my local NBC channel is just a black screen. When I try to watch shows that were recorded on NBC within the last couple weeks, there is nothing there so this must have started a couple weeks ago. I am not having this problem on my newer non-Tivo box.

I called Directv today, and their automated recording (prior to talking to a live person) had me restart the DVR. So, I did that and when it was done searching for a satellite signal it said that it could not find all channels. NBC was still black, but now ABC, CBS, PBS, and FOX are not even on the guide and I can't even go to those channels. When I talked to Directv, they said this is a problem that other people are having and that their engineers are working on a fix, but they really don't know what the problem is.

They said that whatever the fix is will need to be downloaded to my box via a phone line. But, my old box hasn't been able to connect via a phone line the last couple years, and Directv wasnt' able to ever get that resolved either (they just told me I need a new box).

So, without local channels, and no fix in sight...I need a new box. What are Directv's new Tivo boxes like? How do they compare to the old directv-tivo boxes, and how do they compare to Directv's own DVRs.?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  3. Dnamertz

Dnamertz New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I'll check out that thread, but you say this is an "HD" DirecTivo. The TV that I have this old DirecTivo box on is not HD. What are my options for non-HD?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    There are no new "non HD" Tivos. The new DirecTV Tivo is the THR22 HD Tivo. If you don't want HD, and you still want Tivo, your only options are an older used Tivo.

5. wetchemistry

wetchemistry New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Dnamertz, what model is your SD DTivo?

6. Dnamertz

Dnamertz New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Its a Samsung SIR S4080R.

7. nmiller855

nmiller855 New Member

Sep 26, 2000
    East of...
    You might want to check the thread about local channels to see what all we've been trying to do to get it fixed.

8. Dnamertz

Dnamertz New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I read through a lot of that thread, and there was a lot of discussion about "hacking" and technical upgrades that are over my head. Plus, it sounds like even the simple solutions would require my box to be able to make a phone call, which it no longer can do.