1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I have an old DTV setup that dates from 204. I have an 18" round dish with a dual LNB. I have a newer TIVO a TH22 ( I think). This is due to my location's inability to see the newer satellites.
    A few years ago our signal would cut out when it was quite hot outdoors, we could get the signal back by taking a garden ose to the LNB. A service guy came and replaced the LNB with a used one he had, claiming there were no new ones.
    Our signal is getting a little erratic lately and am wondering if it is the LNB.
    Are the dual LNB's that are available through Amazon and Solid Signalwhat I think I need?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You need a new dish as yours can't see the 99 and 103 satellites. Might as well get the one with built in SWM.

3. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    So I would need a new multi switch as well?

4. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    No, you won't need a multi-switch.

Also, you can get all feeds with a single cable with SWM.

5. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I have a dual input multi switch and that would work with a single wire dish?
    Is the dish something I can install? Which dish should work for me?

Thanks
    Bear

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Your existing multiswitch won't work with SWM. A new SWM3 dish and a single cable is all you need. Aligning these is tricky and it really helps to have the special meter. Note that the dish will need a new mount and bracing.

With SWM you don't use multiswitches. You can use splitters if you have more than one box.

7. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Thank you all, but for an answer to my original question. Are the dual LNB's for sale at Amazon and others what I need if I want to keep my 18" dish and multi switch?

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  9. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I get all the channels I've been getting with the THR22. I have not changed my programing since 2004. I've got so many trees surrounding me that I can not see the HD satellites.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There are a bunch of channels only on the 99 or 103 satellites. Most are HD versions of others, but some are only there. You can get the SD versions of some with your dish. You're missing a lot of programming with a round dish.

11. Bigg

Bigg On the fence to being a cord-cutter.

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The dual-LNB setups have been obsolete since 2008(??)-ish. You need an SL3 dish, they now have ones with SWiM 13 built in, or the regular SWiM 8 LNB. Most markets now don't need 110/119, which they did for a while for some local channels until all the locals were available on 99c/103c MPEG-4 HD. Now 110 isn't used for US programming, and 119 is Spanish and Chinese, I believe.

99c and 103c are very tight to 101. If your window is so narrow that you can't pick up 99c and 103c, then you need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-18-...1450139128&sr=8-2&keywords=husqvarna+chainsaw