1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live TV only using one tuner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Boot, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Boot

Boot to the head TCF Club

Mar 15, 2000
    Central MA
    I recently upgraded from a 2-tuner Premiere to a 6-tuner Roamio. I recall that on the Premiere, if I used the "last" button to toggle between two channels, and nothing was recording, it would use one tuner per channel, and I'd have the full 30 minute buffer for each. But with the Roamio, "last" reuses the same tuner, so I lose the buffer each time I switch. Is this normal? With 6 tuners and nothing recording, I would expect to be able to go back to any of my last 5 channels and have a buffer available.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Use the Live TV button (upper right of remote), and you will sequence thru all six tuners. Each with its own buffer.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    "Last", when used while viewing "live" TV, reverses whatever the last tuner action performed was. If the last action was changing the channel, it changes that tuner back. If the last action was changing tuners, it swaps to the previously used tuner. IOW, "Last" can be used to swap between the two most recently used tuners.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #4 of 11
    Boot

Mar 15, 2000
    Central MA
    Huh. The behavior of undoing the last action makes sense, but I guess I would have thought changing live TV channels would cycle through the tuners. And having owned a TiVo for 10+ years now, you'd think I would know how it works.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #5 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I would venture to guess that most people prefer the way it currently behaves. I know I do. When I set a tuner to a channel, I want it to remain on that channel unless it is needed for recording or I explicitly change it.

6. Feb 5, 2014 #6 of 11
    Boot

Mar 15, 2000
    Central MA
    From an expert user standpoint, maybe. You know about the tuners, you know how to get to each one, and you want full control over each tuner, individually. But for a casual non-techie user, I would think the tuner layer should be as invisible as possible. All they know about tuners is "I can record 6 shows at once". But for TV surfing, it seems like they would get the greatest advantage out of having the full 30 minute buffer available on their 6 most recently viewed channels, without doing anything special to manage it.

Anyway, it's TiVo's design decision, and that's not how it was designed, so it's all just academic.

7. Feb 5, 2014 #7 of 11
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Really? I would think the opposite. If my wife is TV surfing, it's very rare that the 6 most recently viewed channels are going to have accumulated buffers beyond a minute or two. Having the other 5 buffers keep their 30 minutes seems optimal to me; at least some shows on channels that get watched will have significant buffers.

8. Feb 5, 2014 #8 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    :up: Exactly.

9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 11
    MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Maybe I missed it, but no one mentioned that you can use the "info" button, then the down arrow a couple of times to the row of 3 or 4 circles, looks like an AUDI logo. When you get to that, you'll see all six (or four on the base model) tuners and what they're tuned to, and then you can arrow up and down amongst them.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No one mentioned it because it wasn't relevant to the discussion at hand.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, an annoying issue with Tivos.. (I PRESUME this is still true with the Roamio, but I do far less channel surfing than I used to, and I basically rarely have done it on Tivos..)

They're *trying* to be helpful, but it ends up being annoying..

If you're channel-upping, and go to a channel that is already being used on another tuner.. it switches to that tuner (presumably so you now have the existing buffer viewed)... But if you channel up AGAIN, now you have changed channels on that tuner, losing the buffer..

Yes, I know, hit record if you care what's there..

e.g. Tuner #1 is on channel 50
    Tuner #2 is on channel 48, and you're now on tuner #2.

You hit channel up.. It changes tuner #2 to 49.
    You hit channel up.. It now changes you to viewing tuner #1 on channel 50, and you have the half hour or whatever of buffer..
    You hit channel up.. Now you have changed tuner #1 to channel 51.. and you lost the buffer you had saved up.