1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live program is jerky

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by caddyroger, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1 of 11
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have a problem with my picture when transferring programs. Some times when transferring a program the picture is jerky. Have any one else seen this problem?

2. Feb 6, 2012 #2 of 11
    Max Camber

Max Camber New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I get the following on both of my Premieres:
    - An almost continuous small vertical twitch while transferring in the background. This includes the progress bar and all menus, both HD and SD. This is still visible while paused.
    - Jerky video that appears to be skipped frames happening at the same time as the vertical twitch.
    - Occasional all-black frames, also happens while paused.

3. Feb 6, 2012 #3 of 11
    Max Camber

Max Camber New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Upon further testing it appears that this is only happening on transfers from my pyTivo server. Tivo to Tivo transfers are just fine.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #4 of 11
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Thanks
    I guess I'll have to transfer programs when I do not watch tivo or use my Comcast box for if watching live programs.
    The way I am set up I run a HDMI cable to bedroom so I do not do transfer between tivos.

5. Feb 7, 2012 #5 of 11
    Max Camber

Max Camber New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Additional testing note: Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 (current) on Win7 doesn't exhibit this behavior at all.

6. Feb 7, 2012 #6 of 11
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm pretty sure 2.8.3 is just 2.8.2 with something added for the new DirecTiVo.

7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 11
    Max Camber

Max Camber New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Let me guess, wired gigabit network from the server to the Tivo?

I'm able to replicate the problem at will by simply adjusting the speed of the network link to my server. I can switch from gigabit to 100 Mbps mid-transfer and the video problems all disappear instantly. As soon as I kick the card back up to gigabit the jitter starts again.

I'm going to keep testing and see if I can find the optimal point for network throttling to keep the Tivo happy but still transfer faster than 100 Mbps.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 11
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Yes it is a wired gigabit network.

9. Feb 8, 2012 #9 of 11
    Max Camber

Max Camber New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm finding that if I cap the network throughput at 30 Mbps it prevents any issues with the video stream, but the menus still show some jitter. It's not like the Tivo can sustain much past that level anyway, and I suspect that it's the handling of traffic spikes that is causing the issue in the first place. Overall transfer speed actually decreases with a 40+ Mbps cap because the Tivo seems to have to stop and catch up frequently, causing large dips in the throughput rate.

10. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I was having the same trouble.

Programs were jittery during transfers.

I changed the NIC card to 10MBs (didn't have an option for 30MBs - just 10 1000 auto)

Seems OK now.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010