1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of HME apps?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cheezus, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1 of 16
    cheezus

cheezus New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    E of MT, W...
    I'm really getting into the whole HME thing; might even start developing soon :)

I stumbled onto AudioFaucet today and it got me thinking -- how do we find all of these apps. Search revealed a go nowhere thread about starting a directory, and links to hme.pvrblog.com, which is no longer working.

So um... anyone just want to give shoutouts to their favorite HME app (with urls) in this thread?

I'll go first

Galleon HME server (whole bunch of apps): http://galleon.tv
    Subscribeable applications, games: http://apps.tv
    AudioFaucet (control/stream itunes): http://www.digitaldroplet.net/

2. Feb 9, 2006 #2 of 16
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    A few are noted on TiVo's HME Challenge page: Here

I tried many of these, but none of them stuck with me. They're worth listing for others to evaluate: :)

[​IMG] . Music Monkey - Best Music Application

[​IMG] . Flickr - Best Photo Application

[​IMG] . Digital Home - Best Information Application

[​IMG] . NBC Trivia - Best Game Application

3. Feb 9, 2006 #3 of 16
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
  4. Feb 9, 2006 #4 of 16
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    The Word Grid app by TiVo employee Carl Haynes is very cool... the fact that I can play a timed word game live against other people scattered about the US is awesome. I won't give up my current username though... ;) Oh yeah, this one is found through his apps.tv.

We've got some clever developers right here on the TCF and I think this traffic app is pretty neat: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=252141

AudioFaucet is impressive... so much so he's going to charge for it. :(

Of course we can't forget to mention Galleon (galleon.tv) again which bundles a ton of functionality including podcasting, email, IM, etc. Some is fluff (impressive, but still fluff) and much is useful. Leon is a coding warrior.

5. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Anyone know if this one is still supported or working. When I tried it, I entered zipcode and it BONGED. Said something like invalid info and showed a blank screen with lat/long in upper left corner that changed as I used the arrow pad but no maps showed.

Thanks in advance. (oh, the contact info gave a yahoo - address intercept message error)

6. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    I was never able to get this to work. According to some threads, some people apparently have gotten this to work, but I never got responses to any requests for help.

7. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    I think there are (were?) two HME Google Map apps... I haven't messed around with them in months, but I definitely had at least one of them working at one point. We drilled down and found our neighborhood which was pretty cool but useless. :)

8. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Google Maps has also changed their api more than once since the HME app(s) were released. I think someone (with a firmer grasp of java than me) will have to update the code that interfaces with the google servers, as well as build it using the current HME SDK for it to be able to run correctly with 7.2x TiVos. If anyone wants to take a stab at this, Arthur Van Hoff wrote it originally, and hosts the older code and binary at his website, http://www.artfahrt.com/products.html. I'm pretty sure he's ok with modifying and releasing the source and binary, but it'd probably be a good idea to contact him directly.

Cheers,
    Cassidy

9. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Yes, I'd been to his site. The contact does not lead anywhere - error message from Yahoo. At least, it did a week or so ago.

I've heard that Google keeps changing so that could explain things. I'm a former Cobol programmer in a long past life and don't know anything about Java!

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Good memory! I must be getting old... Yeah, his was the one I got to work and I seem to recall someone taking his code and beefing it up with more features, but I don't think I tried that version.

For folks unaware and in need of some trivia, Arthur Van Hoff is a programming guru (Google him) who worked at TiVo for a short time. He was largely responsible for HME and the security of TiVoToGo I believe (then again, like I said my memory is fading).

11. mathwhiz

mathwhiz Member

May 28, 2000
    Okemos, MI, USA
    Is there any other list than this one of HME Applications out there? It would be nice to have one central website that lists all HME applications available, so that we can make the most of this feature on our TiVos.

12. Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA
  13. davidblackledge

davidblackledge Registered l√úser

Sep 9, 2008
    NM
  14. jckatz

jckatz New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Springfield, ??
    I think it is a bloody shame TIVO HME died on the vine. This was a great place for innovation...

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It's not dead... it's just pining for the fjords...

16. Allanon

Allanon Member

Nov 2, 2005