1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Link to PDF of Roamio manual?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tivogurl, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1 of 24
    tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Anybody have one? Can't find where it is on tivo.com.

2. Sep 1, 2013 #2 of 24
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    At this time is it not there.

3. Sep 1, 2013 #3 of 24
    DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    There is also no manual included in the box with the product. :)

4. Sep 2, 2013 #4 of 24
    MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It's TiVo,:) who needs a manual? Just poke around in the menus. One of the first observations about Tivo many many years ago, was that three year olds and 65 year old moms could use it without any instructions.:D

5. Sep 2, 2013 #5 of 24
    TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Agreed. There aren't that many options and settings to review. Try them all and see what they do. Read the FAQs on tivo.com. Last but not least, ask questions here. :)

6. Sep 7, 2013 #6 of 24
    gsusser

gsusser New Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I disagree and think it's insanity there's no manual. When I got my first TiVo a few years ago, I referred constantly to the manual. Maybe for people who are upgrading there's no pressing need, but a first time user needs one. I wanted one just in case and contacted TiVo. I was told what was basically said here... it's plug and play, you don't need a manual. Garbage.

7. Sep 8, 2013 #7 of 24
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I don't need a manual as I am a loooooooong time TiVo user, but I was surprised that one didn't come with it. I can see new people needing one, maybe not even knowing what a SP or WL is.

8. Sep 8, 2013 #8 of 24
    MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I was being sort of sarcastic... I agree a manual would be nice. Even it in PDF form only. My last TiVo was a Series 3, so there are lots of new features that I'm slowly finding, but it would have been nice to have had something that lays them all out.

9. Sep 8, 2013 #9 of 24
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Yep. I have no idea how long it was possible to add and delete channels from the Guide before someone in these forums told me about it. It would have been nice if that was written down somewhere in a manual where I might have seen it (especially if it had a good index). Who knows how many helpful features I still have no idea about?

10. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
  11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I believe you have uncovered the rare, and previously undiscovered, TiVo Manual. :up:

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Good find, was not there last week, maybe the Roamio will now be shipped wit a manual ?

13. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler New Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
  14. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Tivo should include a manual. I think it's a bit arrogant or conceited of Tivo to assume that their UI is so simple everyone will be able to immediately grasp it and become a pro. The basic DVR features can probably be used by just about anyone as they are fairly obvious or can be figured out quickly. However, there are still some features that are either hidden or could use explanation. There is a help/troubleshooting 'section' but it's tucked away well.

I remember when I purchased my Elite there were several videos that it either came with or were downloaded shortly after activation. With the new Tivo setup method maybe it's not as easy but really, with a DVR, it is a very visual experience. Tivo should include several nice HD videos to watch explaining the basics, some Tivo specific features, providing a few tips, and making sure everyone is up to speed, from beginners to pros.

15. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Talk about reading something into an action, or inaction, that's not there. Wow.

16. iadbound

iadbound New Member

Jul 30, 2012
  17. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe my words were a bit strong but just making a comment on the exclusion of a manual when there has always been one in the past. It's just my opinion of course but I believe the exclusion or lack of referencing of a manual implies or infers that product setup and use is simple enough that one is not needed. If the included documentation made mention of a manual available on the main site or if the manual/guide was easily accessible and visible on the site I would feel different. mdscott really had a good find.

Tivo can do better. They have done better.

18. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...

19. tombot

tombot New Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Most of my acquaintances have cable company dvr's. I've never owned a tivo.
    Thanks for the link to the manual, BTW.
    A few questions:
    1) The description of the Advance button uses the word "forward". Does that imply that it doesn't skip and instead you see the commercials moving really fast?
    2) How fast is the Advance function? How many seconds to forward 30 seconds?
    3) How onerous are these "hints and suggestions" about other content I might like. I mean if I'm in search mode that's fine I guess, but do they pop up when I haven't asked for it and in what modes do they pop up. Please keep in mind that I'm totally new to this product. It would be the Roamio model that gets OTA broadcasts that I'm contemplating. I had cable for decades but all those hundreds of channels seemed to mean I was scanning through hundreds of times more commercials. It really started to get on my nerves. Well besides the fact that so many channels seem redundant.

20. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    That's the default behavior, yes. You can toggle it to a true skip mode.

It's hard for me to say a good word about them, but they're less intrusive than what I've seen on cable / DirecTV devices.