1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifetime TivoHD Constantly Rebooting

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Tom Harms, May 31, 2013.

1. Tom Harms

Tom Harms New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Springfield, VA
    Purchased 3 TivoHDs in 2008 ~ one with Lifetime and the other two with monthly service. Now, five years later, my TivoHD with Lifetime service is constantly rebooting. Two TivoHDs with monthly ($9.95) service are fine. All 3 units have been left on 24/7, placed in friendly environmnets, & used about the same. Can not help being suspicous. Any comments?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely its the hard drive, you should also check the power supply for bulging, bad capacitors.
    If the hard drive is bad, and the other Tivos are the same model, you can use the other to image the lifetime box.
    Be sure to run Clear & Delete Everything on the "new" tivo, otherwise it will not work and record.

Lifetime is not stored on the Tivo itself, it is on your account @tivo.com in relation to the service number.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Could also be the power supply. If you don't mind a little surgery you may want to try swapping the power supply with one of your other units. If the reboot follows the power supply then you know it's the problem. If if stays with the lifetime TiVo then it's probably the hard drive.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Sounds like what I would try first... If it were me.

5. Jun 1, 2013 #5 of 11
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Any series 2 or series 3 TiVo giving any trouble, you should eliminate "capacitor plague" in the power supply as a possible cause before putting much time and effort into looking for another cause.

However, since you have to take the cover off to check the power supply, you might as well pull the drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostic software long test at the same time.

6. Jun 1, 2013 #6 of 11
    Tom Harms

Tom Harms New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks for the tips. I used to do work on my old DirecTV HD DVRs, but not interested in opening boxes now. Just ordered a Verizon MRDVR to see if I can live with that system before pursuing another Tivo unit.

7. Jun 1, 2013 #7 of 11
    NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Once you see its paltry storage capacity, you're going to regret this LOL

8. Jun 3, 2013 #8 of 11
    tomharms

tomharms New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Good news. :) Tivo is replacing by broken TivoHD with a refurbished Premier for $79, free shipping all around, and applying the product lifetime service to the Premier. Excellent customer service!

9. Jun 3, 2013 #9 of 11
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    That is an amazing story. Not sure if I ever heard that happening at that price before.

10. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La

I tell you my story with TIVO svc. I had a series 2, single tuner that went bad. I also had 1 TIVO hd and 1 S3. The TIVO series 2 died, and so to replace it, bought a 2nd TIVO HD. When I called TIVO to set up the new box and cancel the dead one, they volunteered to replace the dead box with a re-furbished series 2 TIVO, with a duel tuner model at NO charge.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Wow! I would have expected TiVo to charge $150 to transfer the lifetime service.