1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifetime Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Soapm, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    My Premier has been on an old $6.95 month to month plan since about 2012. I think I've lost the value there and want to convert it to lifetime. The guys said it would be $549 to do so.

Any deals for long time customers? Is there another way to get this converted for less?

Whooops... Meant to put this in the Premier section but looks like I hit the wrong one, can a mod please move this thread?

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just a question and a thought, apart from your calling TiVo back and trying with another call rep.:

Are you on OTA or cable? If the former, you could pick up a new Roamio OTA at Amazon.com, including lifetime service, for around $350. Get lifetime plus a few steps up in the tech.

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
  4. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
  5. arneycl

arneycl Cable Only

Dec 10, 2004
    Odon, Indiana
    Keep calling. I made 6 calls before I finally got one to give me lifetime for $199.

wish_bgr likes this.
  6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    3 calls and no love... I guess I'll keep trying...

7. TivoJD

TivoJD Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk County...
    At the beginning of November I found a brand new Premiere XL in sealed box on ebay and grabbed it. I called to activate and was told no way any discount on lifetime and it would be $549. After 3 tries of the same thing all saying $549 I just activated on monthly. Not even 3 weeks later they came out with the Roamio OTA refurbs for $199, so I decided to get that and just cancel the premiere since I was only going to use it for OTA. When I called to cancel the Premiere XL after activating about 3 weeks earlier I was offered $99.99 lifetime so I said oh, okay, sure not expecting it at all since they wouldn't budge less than 3 weeks earlier. Not only did they give me the $99.99 lifetime, they credited me the original $14.99 and only billed me $85. The fact that I was going to cancel was the key to getting the $99.99 offer.

tampa8 likes this.
  8. jodell

jodell TiVo geek

Jul 9, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed, call to cancel your service and you will be asked what are you going to do with it. I said "eBay or give to a friend". I was offered $99 lifetime on my wife's premier.

Digital Man likes this.
  9. arneycl

arneycl Cable Only

Dec 10, 2004
    Odon, Indiana
    Yes...keep calling. Try the cancel CS.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    The guys said, "Ok, I wished we could keep you as a customer..." So I said, "too bad there isn't a cheaper lifetime promotion because $549 is too high and the monthly is killing me..." He said, "Yup, that would be good, anything else I can do for you today...?" So I said, "hold on, let me get my shows off the Tivo before I deactivate it", he said, "ok, I reactivated it, anything else I can do?"

Am I just the unluckiest guy or what, I guess I'll keep trying...

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I've often wondered (and feared) if the phone TiVo rep. annotates one's account file, noting that a call was made in and for what purpose.

12. arneycl

arneycl Cable Only

Dec 10, 2004
    Odon, Indiana
    Maybe they do but it didn't affect me. I wish I could remember which number I pushed to get to the guy I did. I "think" it was the activation folks. But again, it took several calls. I don't know if it will make a difference but I called at 5:00 ET.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Maybe we should start a list here of the names of the "friendly" reps., their numbers and their work hours. ;) (I did find in the past at Amazon.com that if I called customer service after "regular" U.S. business hours and was sent to off-shore support, I received more generous assistance, including price breaks.)

14. arneycl

arneycl Cable Only

Dec 10, 2004
    Odon, Indiana
  15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Didn't get a chance to call today, we busy fixing the heat in my car before this arctic blast comes through. I will try again tomorrow...

16. HeadsUp7Up

HeadsUp7Up New Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I called earlier today and put lifetime on a roamio plus and roamio for $199 each. First call and only had to ask once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. eherberg

eherberg Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I would bet the notes on your account show exactly what you're trying to do. The fact that they called you on your bluff and you backed down is probably also on there as somebody who wasn't really going to cancel. I remember with my Premiere, I called and was fully committed to follow through with what I said on the 1st call. Once it became apparent that I was not bluffing - the $99 offer came through. I was very friendly - so there was no added incentive for the rep to drop me, but I also wasn't going to have a note on my account that I called to do it but didn't follow through. It may be different now with so many customer's having issues with guide data -- or perhaps the new owners don't feel the same way about retail retention when it's such a small part of the overall TiVo revenue. I know that we are having a serious discussion in our house about dropping TiVo completely end-of-year and if that decision is made - no incentive the rep can think of is going to change that.

18. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Could be, they called my bluff again today. Perhaps you have the secret, I may just have to cancel the Premier since I don't like the idea of endless monthly payments.

19. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Is there a "Retention" department?

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Yes, the acronym for it is A.N.A.L.