1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifetime or Monthly?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by imacericg, Oct 16, 2013.

1. imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Looking to buy the Roamio Basic in Feburary (when my DirectTV contract expires) and we are going 100% OTA to save money.

I can't decide if I should by the Lifetime subscription, or Monthly. Here is my thinking:

Lifetime:
    - No monthly bills
    - Better resale value
    - Can keep it forever

Monthly:
    - No huge $499 payment upfront
    - Easier to upgrade to new Tivo/not feeling stuck with current box

Looks like I would need to keep the Tivo for 33 months for the lifetime to payoff. I think its doable, I just can't seem to swallow the $499 part.

What does everyone think?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    lifetime.

I think the resale makes upgrading easier, so would cut that from your monthly "pro".

it is shorter than the 33 months- you did not figure in the resale value.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Absolutely lifetime, you will not regret in the long run.

You have the pros and cons down pretty well, I will add a con before the peanut gallery jumps in…

The lifetime stays with the box and if your box dies, you loose the lifetime service. Now to answer that complaint…

You are going with the Roamio Basic; historically the things that go wrong with the TiVo’s are the hard drive and the power supply. On the Basic the power supply is an external brick and the hard drive on the Roamio line is simple plug and play replacement.

The thing is practically bullet proof at that point – sooo… If you can swing the investment, the lifetime is the best way to go.

Another point I would like to make, they just came out with the Roamio, so your ability to get three years of service before you even have the opportunity to upgrade is very good.

4. imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Thanks guys! For resale, it looks like most people get most of the Lifetime Subscription back. So if I bought Roamio Basic + Lifetime, I could ask for $500ish in 2-3 years. Right?

Think the resale is the biggest factor? So instead of giving monthly payments to TiVo, I get a majority of it back in resale?

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Get Lifetime and use the PLSR(or is it PSLR) code to get lifetime for only $399. I know it has been around for years and I used it recently with lifetime for my Roamio Pro.

6. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Yes, lifetime all the way, you'll get most of the value of the lifetime service back. You'll probably get $300-$400 or so back in 3 years. Depends on the market as well though. I live locally near TiVo so the resale value is probably not as good as if you were in an area that isn't as saturated.

I have always bought the units when they were first released. Recently, sold my original 40 hour Premiere with Lifetime for $300. Probably could have gotten a bit more if I was patient, but just wanted to unload it quickly.

Ended up paying $840 or so for the Roamio Plus + Lifetime ($400 + tax for unit + $400 Lifetime for multi-unit discount). Two weeks in, I realized that a lot of TiVo employees were unloading their "gifted" units. I picked up a Roamio Plus with "evaluation" status lifetime service for $650. Returned my other unit to Best Buy.

7. imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    I think PLSR is old, and doesn't work anymore :(

8. lickwid

lickwid New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Find a friend that's willing to place an order for you on their account. I've done it in the past for my other friends. Good luck.

9. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Nope....it still works. I used it not more than a month ago on my Roamio Plus.

BTW....for what it's worth, if you really plan on keeping the Tivo.....go lifetime. When I look back at my last 8 years of paying monthly for my TivoHD at $12.95/month....that's over $1200 in monthly fees.....it was a no brainer for me to invest in the lifetime for my Plus.

Also, and I know this is hotly debated, but I chose to purchase the Tivo extended warranty since I was going lifetime. For $40 bucks (that's less than a dinner out with the family) I felt more comfortable having it incase anything goes wrong. Yes it's a once and done, and yes people say Tivo will work with you if you unit fails and you don't have a warranty, but I feel better being able to say for the next 3 years that Tivo will replace it for free and transfer the lifetime to the new unit.

-Kevin

10. imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Thanks Kevin. Can you get PLSR to work on Roamio Basic? Can you share a screenshot? I could be messing it up.

11. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    No idea if it's model specific. I had a TivoHD on my account as well as an old lifetime'd series 2 (that was long since used). I initially added the Roamio Plus to my account on a monthly plan.

Before switching to lifetime I was doing research and testing what my price would be. I tried both using my MSD, which did give me it for $399, and also the PLSR code, which also gave me the $399 option. I didn't add lifetime until a few days after when I went back and used just the PLSR code.

Looking at my receipts, they don't list any code used.....just the $399.

Is it not taking the code? Do you already have the Tivo on your account at monthly. Someone else would have to chime in....but I've read places where that code is for existing customers, so maybe you need to have the Tivo on your account as monthly first and then switch?!? You have 30 days to decide once activating the device.

-Kevin

12. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    After reading some old posts, it seems that most people can't get the PLSR code to work if you are ordering a Tivo and service at the same time from Tivo.com. Not sure if that's what you are trying to do.

I bought my Tivo from Best Buy.....so I had to activate separately.

-Kevin

13. imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    I have the DirectTV Tivo, which Tivo won't consider the Roamio as an additional device. I think I might buy it first, then activate it trying to use PLSR.

I am 90% sold on Lifetime, now I just need to sell the boss (wife).

14. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    +1 for lifetime. I bought squaretrade warranty as well on amazon since I upgraded HD (voiding the TiVo warranty).

15. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yeah, I'd buy it and try to activate it using the code. If it still won't let you, then activate it on monthly. Wait until it's in your account and use the link to "select a future plan". This is how I did it.

Just tell the wife you plan on keeping it for years and it pays off in the end. That and cook dinner tonight :p Once I told my wife we paid $1200 over the last 8 years she was sold on dropping even the $499....the $399 was even better!

-Kevin

16. imacericg

imacericg New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Great news! The wife approved the Lifetime Subscription! Thank you everyone for your assistance!

[​IMG]

17. Scooterj

Scooterj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I recently bought the new Roamio basic model for $149 last week and got a monthly subscription. I read this forum and used the PLSR promotional code to get $100 off a lifetime subscription and it worked. They refunded the $14.99 I paid for this month so I got a lifetime subscription for $385. So in 26 months I break even thanks for the code.

18. palover

palover New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    NC
    Good choice! Owning is better than renting, and unlike with 'living space', Tivo's don't need expensive maintenance. If you can afford the upfront lifetime payment, it's a no brainer.

19. bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    Hyde Park, NY
    On the other hand, I've (sadly) found that the life of a TiVo unit is not that much more than 3 years. Both my old TiVo HD's died almost exactly 3 years after being put into service. So the monthly fees added up to about what lifetime would have cost, so its kind of a wash. I'm not convinced paying the monthly fees upfront via the lifetime charge is so compelling ...
    --
    bc

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You have had a bad experience as most TiVo will last over 10 years with a one hard drive change, both my married kids have some old TiVos Series 2 from 2005 and their running great for analog only as their cable system still has analog.

Some on this forum are still using the Series 1 TiVo from 1998 !!