1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifetime for $399 - can I buy from Best Buy or Amazon?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dmk1974, Nov 23, 2013.

1. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I have 2 Premiere 4's and 2 Mini's (all with Lifetime service on them) and am looking into getting a Roamio Plus. If I were to buy the Roamio from Best Buy or Amazon, can I still get the $399 Lifetime pricing? Or am I required to buy the box directly from TiVo to get that price? Thanks!

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yes you can buy from BB or Amazon. When you activate them online at TiVo just put in the "PLSR" discount code for the $399 pricing.

3. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Agreed, I bought mine from BB and was not eligible for the multi service discount when I called tivo. I then went online and used the promo code PLSR to get lifetime for $399.

4. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    A Tivo CSR told me that it is not about where you buy it (as long as it's an authorized dealer), but about the status of your account and whether or not you are eligible for the discount.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even if you are eligible for MSD pricing you should always use the PLSR code. Since those TiVos can still be used as a qualifier for MSD pricing. While a TiVo that purchased lifetime with MSD pricing is not a qualifier for other TiVos..

6. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Thank you for the info!

Also, I am thinking of getting my Dad the 4-tuner Roamio for Christmas. Can I buy the lifetime for $399 and then transfer the entire box to a new account for him? He's going to use it with an OTA antenna so unfortunately I can't just pass my Premiere 4 box to him.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. Once the Tivo has the lifetime subscription, you are free to do with it as you please.
    Only drawback would be whether or not your dad would be eligible for future MSD purchases.

8. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You're better off buying the Roamio and creating his own account then using the PLSR code on his as well.

9. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Would I be able to use that PLSR code even if he, at this moment, does not have a TiVo account?

10. WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Is that code still working? I just tried it signed in and out of tivo.com and it didnt work.

11. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Warren, MI
    I have a lifetimed Premiere. If I get a Roamio and get the discounted lifetime due to this, do I lose the lifetime on the Premiere?

12. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    It worked for me on 11/21/13. I purchased a unit from abt.com.

13. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    No. Your Premiere box will retain its lifetime service.

14. flar

flar Member

Mar 17, 2003
    San...
    Where is this mentioned? In the terms for MSD it simply says that a prior lifetime TiVo must have connected within the last 180 days.

http://www.tivo.com/legal/terms

15. jhirsche

jhirsche New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Used the code to purchase lifetime on a new roamio basic Friday night. Worked fine, but $399 lifetime price was offered without code too. Migrating from a premiere Xl with lifetime... Anyone interested in that unit? Shouldn't have much trouble moving it on eBay...

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    This is based on what I've been told. I've been told by multiple CSRs in the past that the only box I had that was not a MSD qualifier was my $6.95 monthly box. All the other lifetime boxes were qualifiers and they had lifetime purchased with the PSLR code or from other means like the Premiere launch.

Although now that I switched that $6.95 Premiere to a Roamio Basic and got $99 lifetime on the Premiere, I don't expect that lifetime Premiere to be a qualifier for MSD like my other lifetime boxes are.

17. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I dont remember using the plsr code i paid $499.99 lifetime for 1st premiere and the second premiere i bought on the same day they charged me $399.99 for lifetime. But i bought them from a tivo csr over the telephone.

18. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    A service that you purchase applies to only one box at a time. A lifetime service can't be transferred to another unit. You can, however, sell the unit and the lifetime service. The lifetime service will follow the unit. You can use that money to help you buy the service on your next one.

19. flar

flar Member

Mar 17, 2003
    San...
    Not having any boxes that weren't purchased with the code doesn't mean that the code was required. The $6.95 monthly box didn't qualify because it wasn't a full-price subscription. At least one box on the account needs to be "full price" for the rest to get the discount.

The only wording about eligibility refers to either the lifetime, saying it has to have dialed in within 180 days, or a full-price subscription box, that if it disappears then the oldest subscription box loses the MSD and starts paying the full monthly fee. There is no text there that mentions anything about an MSD lifetime being charged any more money or being disqualified from enabling MSD on future boxes other than if it stops dialing in.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Here is the user agreement

https://www.tivo.com/legal/terms

It mentions a full price subscription.