1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Levels of internet speed--when Broadband ain't Broadband

Discussion in 'TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)' started by Laserfan, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Laserfan

Laserfan New Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    This is probably discussed somewhere else, but... TiVo needs to distinguish between different speeds of Internet access. I have Satellite service, and both my HD TiVos are CAT5E connected, and they both think I have high speed (broadband) service, and I don't--on a good day I get 700kbps down and 50kbps up, and the latency is horrendous. So all of TiVo's nifty internet features are useless to me, and I try to avoid them, because every time I accidentally select a menu e.g. Tivo Search that wants 'net access, I wait forever and then have to say "no I don't want to Opt-In!".

There needs to be some way for me to tell my boxes not to bother with any of the Internet features that require High Speed Internet! :thumbsdown:

2. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    You can contact tivo and they can set your account to "opt out" which I was told disables the online featurs. Other then that I would imagine disconnecting them from the network would be an option as well. Third, in some cable systems that 700kbps down is an internet tier. DSL also. Both of those are classified as high speed internet.

3. Tokapeba

Tokapeba New Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Wouldn't he need the internet for guide data?

4. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    That is absolutely correct...............errr...........except for the second part!