1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Clock add-on suggestions for Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by curiousgeorge, Apr 13, 2010.

1. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    We already severely miss the clock on the face or our Series 3 units (and the OLED program display, but that ain't coming back). I've been looking online for very small LED clocks to put on the top of the 3 Premiere units we got. It's become unexpectedly complicated - there are none that I can find. There's TONS of backlit LCD units, but those aren't as legible at just an old-fashioned green/red/amber multi-segment led display. There's one on the face of antennas we use, but the unit the clock is attached to is too big to stick to the top of each TiVo Premiere. Ideally, I'd like a small unit about 2" wide by 3/4" tall, but at this point I'm willing to compromise - I can't find ANYTHING close, and that's even checking chinese gadget stalwarts like DealExtreme.com.

Anyone know of a place that has what I'm looking for?

2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It may be a bit larger than what you are looking for, but a 3rd generation Squeezebox makes a great clock:

[​IMG]

It has a beautiful vacuum florescent display that can easily be viewed from across the room. Since it is internet connected, it can even display real-time weather information. Best of all, it makes one hell of an audio streamer. I don't believe this product is made any longer, but you should be able to find them for sale on eBay. :)

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Yeah, WAY too big for the application here.

Any other suggestions?

4. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That is funny you are looking for the same thing I am, a nice little clock that can also be viewed across the room and looks good! Backlit LCD's are unacceptable. We are compromising with a $9 cheapo clock right now, but it has to go!

5. eldred24

eldred24 New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Funny, I came to post about the exact same thing. I am missing the clock BIG TIME!

6. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Through my work we do manufacturing in China. I'm seriously considering having a bunch made and selling them to TiVo Premiere owners if I can't find something that already exists.

7. JoN8282

JoN8282 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    miss my clock so bad...

8. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    me too

9. AKAKAK

AKAKAK New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Man...I feel that exact same way. I thought I was the only one aimlessly looking for my Tivo clock replacement!

10. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I give up looking for this, so I'm talking with my manufacturing contacts tonight. I'm leaning toward green LED numbers on a black background, but I might be able to do blue or amber/orange. I *do not* want red. Anyone have a preference? If so, what is it, and why?

11. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Whatever you do, don't go with blue:

Blue LEDs: A health hazard?

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
  13. i2k

i2k Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I realised quickly after moving the TIVO S3 out of the living room, that the digital photo frame actually has a clock on it, so now that is on 'clock' mode most of the time. Also has auto-on-off which is nice.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Blue is annoying to me, but not nearly as much as a bright red LED.

".....And blue is brighter in peripheral vision......"

At least I now know that nothing is wrong with my eyes. They've always been brighter in my peripheral vision and when I turn my head toward the blue LED it would be dimmer. I was thinking that something was wrong. I'm glad there isn't.

15. FairfaxCA

FairfaxCA New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Here is a possibility, maybe not at the right price. See here.

16. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Nice find! That would appear to fit the OP's needs almost perfectly.

17. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I searched around for a while yesterday and wasn't able to come up with anything. I did, however, stumble across this really cool OLED prototype:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Depending on the ambient light in the room, the numbers change from black to white. Very cool! :)

18. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    The TiVo Premiere is my first cablecard device. I never realized how often i looked at the time on the cable box before.

Its a shame they didn't add a clock on the Premiere.

19. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Luckily for me, we have this specialty store in my area that carries these very hard-to-find devices: clock