1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last Resort S01E11 "Damn the Torpedoes" 1/10/2013 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kettledrum, Jan 11, 2013.

1. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone still watching? We're down to the last three....

I especially liked the part with the showdown with Cortez where Chaplin closed his Bible and showed a handgun he was hiding behind it. :) It seemed that Chaplin knew that the spy was Cortez all throughout this episode, but in the previous episodes they never hinted that he knew, correct?
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think I'm officially bored with this show. It had so much promise, but it seems the wheels have completely fallen off the wagon.

I'll stick it out since it's almost over, but I don't think I will miss it when it's goine.
  3. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Earlier in the episode when she came into the bar out of the rain, the captain had just talked over the walkie talkie about when the launch would be ready. Then he asked her where she was and she said something about helping out with a problem with the launch. Right then there was a slight change in the captain's expression and I assumed he then knew that she was the CIA agent.

YES!! It had a LOT of potential but they dropped the ball. I'll definitely stick with it until the end but also won't miss it when its gone!

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That was my take, too...
  5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    More like, they had a great ball just sitting there on the beach next to them, but they never got around to picking it up.

I don't think they ever solved the problem of what would turn the high concept of the show into an ongoing series. I think they thought just having a cool high concept was enough.

(And it still seems more to me it's a high concept that would lend itself to a sitcom rather than a drama, at least as an ongoing series. A US nuclear submarine avoids a nuclear war by defecting to a tropical island, where they try to fend off various world powers while dealing with the colorful natives. Which really describes the show as it is, but don't you think a sitcom would be a more natural way to do that concept? I still believe the only way this could ever have worked as a drama was as a movie or at most a miniseries, but they didn't structure it that way.)
  6. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    Kelsey Grammer could play the captain. :)
  7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    wouldnt disobeying an order of such magnitude usually get an officer a bit more serious a punishment then "dont do it again?" the missle thing was almost hilarious

when i was watching all those important people in the room then that guy being shot, all i could think of was Scandal and how they needed Liv
  8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    If the show wasn't ending, I was wondering who is supposed to be the guy setting them all up for treason. With only two episodes left they will let the coup happen. If it was going to continue someone would betray them.
  9. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004

So many shows would be so much better if they were intended to be one or at most two seasons long. Last Resort started out so awesome and if it had concentrated just on the rogue nuclear sub crew and the attack on Pakistan that would have been enough. As a matter of fact, I think the show would have had great tension if they had been confined to the boat, submerged constantly and mostly cut off from the rest of the world. We didn't need the wife back home story, the arms dealer politics, the island kingpin, the rare earth elements, the bartender and her father, etc.
  10. dtle

dtle Active Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philly, PA
    That sounds like a great 2-hour movie (Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide). However, I don't want to watch a show about a cramp space for 20+ hours.

I agree with you that some of the extra stuff is what causing the downfall, but not all. If they could have a written a tight 10-12 episode season (like shows on HBO, SHO, AMC, etc), it would've been more interesting.
  11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I really did think it was interesting for about 3-4 episodes. So much so that I was actually looking forward to the next episode. Somewhere along the line, I think things just got too complicated. There were too many characters involved, and maybe it was me, but some of the male lead characters started to blend together.