1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Known issue: Grace period (workaround)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TiVoStephen, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Hi all,

We're aware of an issue with the Roamio with the grace period functionality.

Normally, a unit that hasn't been activated yet has a grace period of service. However, we're seeing a bug for Roamio units.

If you set up a Roamio unit and complete Guided Setup, if you're seeing the box in a deactivated state, please wait one hour, then force a connection to the TiVo service. (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/395)

At that point, grace period functionality will work normally.

We are investigating the bug and working to correct it. But in the meantime, the workaround listed here will need to be employed (or you can just activate service by visiting http://tivo.com/activate/

We apologize for the problem.

Best regards,
    Stephen

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had wondered why I had to get service on my Roamio Pro before I could use it since that had not been the case in the past.

I thought the policy had changed. It's good to know that it hasn't.

3. fdisker2000

fdisker2000 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    JBLM, WA
    I thought the same thing, I thought there was no longer a "trial" period.

4. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    We are still working on fixing this issue; apologies for the inconvenience.

5. wyssaj01

wyssaj01 New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    So does this mean then that I have some "grace time" that I can transfer recordings from my old premiere to my new roamio?

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You have to have both DVRs with active service and on your account to transfer recordings. I am not sure if you can put the new DVR on your account during the grace period. If you are monthly on one or both units just overlap the service. Of course if you have lifetime on both there is no issue.

I also found when I setup my Roamio that there was no grace period and that I had to buy service from the start.

7. wyssaj01

wyssaj01 New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I am month to month on my Premiere ($9.99/month best buy employee plan). So I guess I could just call and add the Roamio as a second DVR for a day or 2 and then cancel it after a day or so.

8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Hey, that's the same as the OTA ONLY rate I have. TiVo should really offer the OTA only rate of $9.99 for the Roamio. It would attract some cord cutters who still want a DVR for OTA.

9. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Did they add OTA back? The only thing I didn't like on my premiere was they dropped OTA....

10. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Off Topic:

I was told, when I called to cancel my OTA Premiere, that this plan no longer exists. I was also told by the rep in the cancelation area that the $9.99 price would remain even if we popped in a cable card. I verified this several times as she convinced me to try to pass along my TiVo to a family member so they can keep this low price.

11. bsimages

bsimages New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Stephen,
    How long is the Grace Period?
    I will be receiving my first Tivo (The Roamio basic model) on Monday from Amazon and it would be nice to try it before I enter in my credit card info...
    PS: I decided to cut the cord to Directv since I get 78 OTA HD channels and since I am addicted to the DVR features the Roamio should be just the answer, I hope. With Hulu Plus and Netflix added to the mix I think I am making a good choice. :up:

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The grace period is 7 days.

13. bsimages

bsimages New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Thank you Steve!

14. bsimages

bsimages New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    My first experience with Tivo was not a very good one!
    After trying to get my Tivo to connect for the 7 day "Grace" period (several attempts following the directions I here).
    I called and was informed that they knew of this issue and the only thing that I could was to pay for activation and not have a trial period and that I had make the purchase in the next ten minutes because they were going home in ten minutes...
    I am disappointed and frustrated with Tivo and the "service" department.
    I can only hope that this is not typical for Tivo because if it is I am sending it back!
    Thank you I really needed to vent.

15. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    You may need to force a connection several times and restart the box. I ran into this issue as well and my grace period eventually became active. I'm not sure if it was the repeated connection attempts or restart that resolved the issue.

16. bsimages

bsimages New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Thank you for responding. I restarted and attempted to force the connection repeatedly. I finally gave up and paid.
    I can not understand why Tivo has failed to respond to my inquiry.
    Is the service at Tivo really this bad all of the time?
    I am disappointed.

17. mtsmylie

mtsmylie New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Pullman, WA
    I'm talking to a TiVo rep in their chat right now, and she said the grace period no longer exists. Is that correct?

18. Photo_Joe

Photo_Joe New Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Davis,...
    Using TiVoStephen's instructions above I was able to start a "Grace Period" or Trial Period with a new Roamio Plus.

I did have to do a hard restart twice by unplugging the TiVo and plugging it back in twice because it would come on and just display one TV channel and not respond to the remote. I then was able to "force" a connection to the TiVo service and it is now using all 6 tuners and recording. I do get a screen advising that I need to activate the TiVo, but I can choose to do this later.

There seemed to be some question about whether you could still do this.
    This way I can test out the basic recording and playback functions on the new TiVo before adding a "Lifetime" service subscription.

I had a self inflicted complication because I had a Roamio basic attached to the TV in the same room and I had to change the pairing code for the remote on the Roamio Basic.