1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kmttg slow encoding

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by kflinch, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1 of 14
    kflinch

kflinch New Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly -...
    I have been using kmttg to encode Tivo video to hb_television (mkv) format. I like it a lot. Many thanks to the developer. However it takes a long time to perform the encoding. Twenty episodes of The Big Bang Theory takes about 2 days to transfer and encode. Some fan in the PC spins up so fast it sounds like there is a weed whacker in the living room. I believe the fault is with my hardware - AMD Athlon II x64 CPU 2.80 GHz, 4 GB RAM, circa 2010.

If I were to build a new PC what hardware should I use for the fastest encoding? Do I want an Intel i7 CPU or will an AMD CPU suffice? Does the graphics card perform any processing? Any particular graphics card? I would use a minimum 8GB RAM. Do I need more? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Nov 7, 2016 #2 of 14
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I can't offer any specific recommendations, but will offer my general observation. I have a 4 year old PC and my hard drive is always the bottle neck when decrypting/encode etc. using kmttg. The hard drive usage is 100% most of the time, while 8GB of memory and CPU never reach 50%. So...

Get a Hard drive with the best possible performance.

To Monitor your hardware while running kmttg, right click on the task bar and bring up the task manager and click on the performance tab.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #3 of 14
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Some of the encoding profiles take advantage of Intel quick sync, hardware based encoding.

4. kflinch

kflinch New Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly -...
    worachj & lew: Thanks for replying. The bottleneck seems to be the CPU. When encoding starts CPU usage jumps to greater than 90%. When all 4 CPU cores are busy encoding 4 files, CPU usage is 100% until encoding is finished. Memory usage maxes at 80%. Hard drive and network activity is minimal.

There are 124 Intel processors with Intel quick sync. It is available in Celeron, Pentium, Corei3, Corei5, and Corei7 processors. Back to my initial question, how much CPU do I need? Should I go all out for a Corei7-6700 or would a Corei5 suffice?

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I think you are just decoding. Not encoding again in a different format. My hyperthreaded quad-core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon maxes out all 8 cores when transcoding from mpg to mp4.

OTOH, simple decoding barely even registers on my CPU or drive. The bottleneck is the transfer from my Roamio Plus to my PC via my gigabit network. It maxes out at around 200Mbps. The underpowered CPU on the Roamio Plus can't provide data to the pipe any faster. 200Mbps is way below what a harddrive can handle. Even an ancient CPU can decode faster too. Encoding is the CPU-intensive part and the bottleneck.

As mentioned above, this is the same behavior I see. However, my CPU doesn't have Intel Quick Sync. Heck, it doesn't have any graphics at all. I guess the question is, how often do you do this? I occasionally will use my laptop, which just has an Intel i5-5200 (5th gen i5, released q1 2015). It supports Quick Sync, but I've never figured out how to get it to work. Even when using my fast machine, I usually queue up jobs and run them overnight.

6. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I'm encoding TiVo files from my Roamio using the ff_ipad encoding profile, which never gets above 50%(CPU) on my computer. The hard drive is at 100% for the other kmttg functions like decoding and stripping off the commercials. So I guess it depends on what's being encoded and which profile is being used along with the computer hardware.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    On further thought, I think it depends on your kmttg settings.

Do you mean hb_ipad? There is no ff_ipad with the current version of kmttg (v2.2h). There was in the past, pre 2.2 maybe? I remember it was removed and replaced with ff_mobile_1080 (720, 480, etc). In any case, I might have a reason your CPU is only reaching 50%.

What is your CPU? The exact model number. How many cores? Is it hyperthreaded? In kmttg->Program Options, what is your value for encoding cpu cores? I'm guessing it is half as many as you have available. This means kmttg is limiting itself to half your cores, which will show up as 50% utilization if those cores are maxed. I think kmttg is essentially throttling itself.

The harddrive will be the bottleneck for operations like qs fix, ad detect, and ad cut. It shouldn't be for decoding... UNLESS you've already transferred the program over and it is sitting on your pc... which could happen if you do _not_ have the Combine download and decrypt option checked.

My analysis is based on optimized kmttg settings for maximum performance. This includes combining download and decrypt, and using all available cpu cores. If I de-optimize my settings, I will see the same bottlenecks as you, but my pipeline will be much slower.

8. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    [​IMG]

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DELL2012
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model XPS 8300
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 10/17/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

[​IMG]

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    There you go. That's a hyperthreaded quad core cpu, meaning it has 8 logical cores. Your encoding cpu cores is just 4. You can bump this up to 8. Likewise, on that page, check the box for Combine download and decrypt. No reason to serialize a process that can be done in parallel at no cost. You should also probably check the box to Decrypt using tivolibre instead of tivodecode, and also check the box for Download TiVo files in Transport Stream format. This is faster that than the default program stream format.

I don't understand why you have the ff_ipad option. Was this kmttg installation on top of an older one? I'm guessing if you just keep upgrading in place, it may not have erased the old encoding profiles? I don't have that encoding profile in my drop down menu. No other idea why you have an ff_ipad encoding.

10. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Sorry I didn't reply directly before.

Thanks for pointing out that I can bump my encoding cpu cores to 8!

It’s been a long time since I setup kmttg to strip commercials from my shows. I wasn't able to "combine download and decrypt" into one file and get comskip to work. I played around with trying to use tivolibre instead of tivodecode, but couldn't get it to work and strip commercials. I may not have been using Transport Stream, or the right combination of options. I'm sure I was doing something wrong.

Its working for me now, but when I have some play time I may try using your suggestions.

I'm not sure when I installed kmttg, but I've been using it for awhile. I always update to the newest version when possible. Not sure where the ff_ipad profile came from. Have you updated to the latest set of tools?

I do appreciate your suggestiona.

Thanks.
    John

PS
    I don't think tivolibre works with comskip, but I could be wrong. I do not have videoRedo.

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, I've got the latest kmttg and tools. The changes I described are working for me. Here is a screen capture with my relevant settings. Notice I have encoding profile ff_mobile_720p which appears equivalent to your ff_ipad. There is also an ff_mobile_1080p for higher res devices, etc.

[edit] I use comskip for ad detect and ffmpeg for ad cut, as I don't have VideoRedo either.

Capture_kmttg.JPG

12. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Thanks, your settings will help. I thought that my stuff was failing because I needed to use tivolibre with Transport Stream, but tivolibre would not work with comskip that it needed to use tivodecode.

So it looks like I should be able to use Transport Stream with Tivolibre and it should work with comskip without a problem.

13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Articles suggest i76700k is about 25% faster then i5 when encoding. Only you can decide if it's worth it

Edited to add. If I was spending time and money building a computer for fast encoding I'd pay the extra $100 for a 6700k

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  14. kflinch

kflinch New Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly -...
    Thanks for the responses. After much consideration I decided to upgrade the PC to an 8 core AMD 4.0 GHz CPU (FX-8350) and 8 GB RAM. I couldn't afford an Intel solution. The FX-8350 was $89.99 vs. i7-6700K at $269.99 at Microcenter. I also got a great deal the motherboard - $5.00 after rebate. However I am pleased. Converting a few 30 minute TV shows to MKV (hb_television profile) takes hours instead of days. Furthermore I installed kmttg as a service and set up auto transfers so it occurs automatically. So now I don't need to babysit the encoding jobs. I just need to log in occasionally and move the MKV files to the appropriate folders.