1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kmttg for Western Digital WD TV Live Hub to high-def TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ripper99, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ripper99

ripper99 Series II User

Jun 23, 2013
    Despite that extra weaKnees space on one of my old TiVo Series2 units I need to offload some programming, while at the same time I have a friend offering a Western Digital WD TV Live Hub. I’ve used a bunch of tools over the years to get things onto my Mac, usually grabbing things with a browser and doing conversions later, sometimes watching those 4GB movies turn into 30GB mov files after demuxing sound. During the TiVo Cookie Monster Scare in mid February (yes, got fixes) I looked at kmttg – and oh, man, that be a whole lot of decryption and conversion choices.

My desire is lossless final output aimed at high-def television, and I’m trying to sort past all the ipad and droid choices to figure out what kmttg option would be a good match for the WD TV Live Hub (which apparently won’t play MPEG2 directly) to my TV set. I was thinking maybe what I want is the “hb_television” setting (mkv/h.264/aac files) Am I getting warm? Better choice for a “high def TV set” final output?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    1. Why do you think the WD Live TV Hub won't play MPEG2?

2. Why bother? Why not just use your TiVo to watch them?

3. ripper99

ripper99 Series II User

Jun 23, 2013
    Saw user reports of difficulty with mpg .. e.g. goo.gl/Ic3Vc

2. Why bother? Why not just use your TiVo to watch them?

A: I'm not leaving TiVo behind, it's been great for what it does and I've been using my units from 2002 and 2003 respectively. WD device offers consolidation of a library of diverse "keepers" of media in one menu (e.g. including ripped DVDs and other multimedia), ease of backup, and foremost, availability of the unit.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So does a TiVo with the proper s/w running on your PC, but mostly I was talking about the recordings acquired from the TiVo.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    According to this, mpeg2 is supported, so if your files are coming from TiVo simply use kmttg to download and decrypt and keep them as mpeg2. That's the highest quality you can get since no transcoding needed.
    Would suggest you record a short (under 5 min) clip on your TiVo to test with.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    My thought also but according to this, there might be audio problems.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    We use a WDTV in our motorhome. We specificly bought it because it was one of the few media players that would support the same mp4 files as Tivo. h.264/AC3 in a streamable MP4 container.

Yes the WDTV has trouble with high data rate mpeg2 files for HD. No trouble with SD resolution like DVD. h.264 video at full resolution works fine.

8. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I believe I use kmttg and the older models of the WDTV Live much like the OP wants to, and I have no problems. Any recording I want to save long term, I transfer from the TiVo and store on my network as MPEG-2 files on my NAS along with some old movies and my collection of old football games. I then watch them at any of our 5 TV sets I'd like. Some stream with wireless N and others are connected to the network with powerline adapters. I use the WDTV Lives to connect to the NAS as network shares instead of as a media player (though that works also) as it seems the WDTV Lives are better able to mark stopping points when connecting as network shared files.

The OP should have no problem doing what he would like to.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If the only problems the WD unit has is with MPEG2 HD recordings, the OP should have no problem at all with recordings from his TiVos, since they are obviously not HD.