1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kmttg first time user running really really slow and errors

Discussion in 'TiVo NZ/Australia' started by carl.dpr, Apr 16, 2017.

1. carl.dpr

carl.dpr New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Hi guys, I haven't used kmttg before so I am a noob.
    I am trying to copy files from my TiVo to my iMac using kmttg v2.2s.

I have a TiVo series 3 and a 2013 iMac with 24gb ram and 4 processors running OS X 10.12.4 over Ethernet.

I can start downloading a file from my TiVo but it is really slow, it shows 0.0Mbps - if I'm really lucky it will show 0.1Mbps.
    I'm assuming it should be a lot faster than this. Is there something in the settings that need to be adjusted to fix this?
    I have made sure my wifi is turned off and I have restarted my TiVo.

The other thing is that the download only does about 1.2MB before it comes up with a "Read timed out" error. I don't know why this would be happening. Has anyone come across this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Carl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Transferring from a Series 3 is slow... but not THAT slow. :) You should expect about 12-15Mbps, IME. Never seen anything like this.First, have you rebooted everything? TiVo, router, and Mac? One thing is to try transferring a program from your TiVo to your Mac using the web interface, bypassing kmttg altogether, to determine if it is a network problem, or just kmttg.

Just fire up a web browser, and enter https://<ip addr or hostname of your tivo> e.g. https://192.168.0.112 or https://myS3
    For username, tivo
    For password, MAK (your 10-digit media access key)

Your Now Playing List will pop up. Click on a program to download. Monitor the speed (I don't know how to do that on a Mac. Something similar to taskmgr or system monitor on WIndows/Linux respectively).

3. carl.dpr

carl.dpr New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks for the reply Justen.
    I tried everything you suggested but I was only getting about 5kb/sec on the Mac.
    I've now plugged in a pc laptop and am getting a bit quicker speed of 1.5mb/sec.
    Which file should I download mpeg-ps or mpeg-ts? And then what do I use to convert the file to an MP4 format?
    Cheers,
    Carl.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    You want to go all the way to MP4? I would use kmttg. It will download and decode to mpeg-2, and then encode back to mp4. You can also configure it to use all 4 CPU cores on your iMac. That is a huge help converting the mpeg-2 to mp4. I think Archivo is another option. I wouldn't use the web transfer for anything. Too cumbersome. mpeg-ps will transfer somewhat slower than mpeg-ts. I'm not really sure of the current programs available to decode. I just use kmttg on Linux and Windows.

I don't understand why you are seeing transfer speeds 1/10, at best, of what you should be seeing. Likewise, there shouldn't be a difference between Mac and PC. However... is that 1.5 megaBYTES per second, or megabits per second? 1.5MB/sec * 8bits/Byte == 12Mbps, which is reasonable for a Series 3. The S3 TiVo's pathetic CPU is the limiting factor.

5. carl.dpr

carl.dpr New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would prefer to use kmttg but this is what happens when I try to download something;
    >> DOWNLOADING FROM 'Carls TiVo' C:\Users\Carl\Documents\My TiVo Recordings\Contact - Alex Majoli - Iraq (05_24_2014).TiVo ...

http://x.x.x.x:80/download/Contact.TiVo?Container=/NowPlaying&id=4376090&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts

http IO exception for: http://x.x.x.x:80/download/Contact.TiVo?Container=/NowPlaying&id=4376090&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts

Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL: http://x.x.x.x:80/download/Contact.TiVo?Container=/NowPlaying&id=4376090&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts

Download failed to file: C:\Users\Carl\Documents\My TiVo Recordings\Contact - Alex Majoli - Iraq (05_24_2014).TiVo

I haven't had a chance to try the Mac again yet.

As far as the web downloads go I am getting 1.5MB/sec so that seems to as good as I'll get. At least that's working but I've been downloading the MPEG-PS files so maybe I should download the TS files if they are quicker, just don't know what I am going to use to decode them if I can't get kmttg to work.

6. carl.dpr

carl.dpr New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Just tried downloading this same file as a TS on the web and I'm getting 2.7MB/sec, much better than the 1.5MB/sec for the PS.

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    WHOA!!!
    I just noticed something, and all my answers were based on a flawed premise. You said you have a Series 3 TiVo. I think that is wrong. You said you have the option to download mpeg-ps or mpeg-ts. That means you have a Series 4 or newer. The Series 3 and earlier do not support the TS, Transport Stream, format. Likewise, 2.7MB/sec is 21.6Mbps, faster than an S3 is capable of.

So when I said the max is 12-15Mbps, that is for the Series 3 and earlier. You obviously have a newer TiVo. Is it a Premiere? A Roamio? Or a Bolt? I have no idea what speeds a Premiere should get (never had one).

You should probably ask kmttg questions in the official kmttg thread, read by the experts and author. Bound to be someone there with experience with a Mac and whatever TiVo model you have (at least a Premiere, aka S4).

8. carl.dpr

carl.dpr New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks Justen. I'll look at the official kmttg thread.
    But I've definately got a Series 3. At least that's what my TiVo says. Model Info: TCD663320. Software Version: 11.3b8-01-2-663.
    I'm in Australia so maybe the boxes here were different than in the States.

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Oh again! Yeah. Australian S3s supported MP4 out of the box, which required Transport Streams. So an S3 using Transport Streams could get the 21Mbps speed you are reporting. It's something I've never been able to test. Damn, that explains away all my confusion!

I know on my Roamio Plus, TS format transfers are often ~double the speed of Program Stream (PS) format. My S3 can't do TS format. Yours can.

Now that that's all cleared up... ;) Also explains the delayed response cycle, time zone differences and all. E.g. Sydney(+10UTC) is 16 hours ahead of Boise(-7UTC + 1 hour ahead for DST).

10. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Temporarily turnoff any anti-virus, firewall, anti-malware program. If that solves the problem you'll need to tweak some settings on your security program.

Make sure your network cable "snapped" on. Better yet try a new cable.

EDITED TO ADD
    Post in the kmttg thread. You may need help in tweaking a hidden setting to enable ts downloads from your unit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 2:07 PM
  11. carl.dpr

carl.dpr New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks Lew, I'll give that a try.
    Cheers,
    Carl.