1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kitchen Nightmares - Amy's Baking Company - 05/10/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, May 10, 2013.

1. May 10, 2013 #1 of 199
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    To quote Chef Ramsay - Wow.

The owners were complete psycho's. Everyone was out to get them, everyone was wrong but them, no one would even let her talk.

And he was a gangster. Old school Vegas I guess.

First time ever that Gordon walked away without helping.

No way they can stay in business.

This is the owner's post on FB regarding the episode:

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco/posts/10151527646142900

Crazy Amy.

They are trying to defend the owner's taking the tips by saying the servers are paid hourly. Definitely not industry standard, but regardless it should be something the customers are aware of.

2. May 10, 2013 #2 of 199
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This was on Reddit with a youtube link yesterday (already aired in Canada I guess). I suggest watching this episode, won't dissapoint.

These people are crazy..

Their Yelp rating.

3. May 11, 2013 #3 of 199
    Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
  4. May 11, 2013 #4 of 199
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it made for good dramatic television, but i feel really sad for the owners. they're delusional, have no idea what's going on around them, and never will.

since they don't understand social media, they simply dismiss all of it unconditionally, instead of learning how to identify and use honest feedback as a tool. don't get me started on their paranoia - afraid of what they don't understand, and unwilling to listen to anyone.

how two business owners could invite one of the most successful counterparts in their industry, and respond with blanket dismissal, is beyond me. it was a golden opportunity for them to correct past mistakes and thrive as a reborn establishment, and they blew it.

i won't wish for their downfall, i only hope they finally learn a lesson from this, the most recent feedback. if they don't, the market will take care of them soon enough.

5. May 11, 2013 #5 of 199
    ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    A lot of these yelp 'reviews' came within the last several days. I wonder.....

6. May 11, 2013 #6 of 199
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yeah, i wondered the same. if they thought dissing their own customers was bad, wait 'till they feel the wrath of dissing ramsey on national tv.

7. May 11, 2013 #7 of 199
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    The owner must have a huge amount of money stashed away because I don't see how they stay in business for as long as they have been. The rent in that part of town isn't cheap and they couldn't be making any money.

8. May 12, 2013 #8 of 199
    inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    I don't feel sorry for them at all.
    Karma.

That was a great episode.

9. May 12, 2013 #9 of 199
    FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Active Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I just watched it and the owners were crazy. Whoa.

Then again, the wife was not much different from other KN owners who ignore Ramsey.

10. May 13, 2013 #10 of 199
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Yeah. I sorted by date and the a huge flood of them showed up after the ep aired. I glanced thru a few and some of those were definitely posted by people who'd never eaten there.

For ones that pre-date the show, they're all over the map.
    Totally agreed!

This was a great ep! It was total riot. Those owners are nuts and yeah their practice of keeping the tips is questionable, if not illegal. Someone commented in the FB post w/quotes from http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm.

It really is too bad that Amy just couldn't take any criticism. She just didn't want to listen to any of it.

One of the Yelp "reviews" says:
    (I've edited the URL to point directly at the PDF instead of using Yelp's redirector.)

11. May 13, 2013 #11 of 199
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ill add this to the 'they have to be acting, no one is like this' box i keep on my bureau.

when amy watches herself on tv, id love to hear what she thinks about how she is acting. there were moments at the table where she knew she was wrong and got the water from the far fridge. but the 50 vs 100 employees fired in a year pretty much tells it all. wouldnt word get around that if you work here you are stupid or are people that desperate? id do any fast food place vs this place!

i wonder if the other customers left after the pizza guy was kicked out. no way woudl i stay.and id be happy to call the cops. get in the newspaper, and get all the negative publicity out there.

do you think how clean and organized it was was a setup by the producers. they never showed this before on tv like they did this time.

12. May 13, 2013 #12 of 199
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I finally watched it yesterday. I'm kind of thinking that the cleanliness thing was set up, but the vibe I got was that the owners were the ones who did that. As much as she cannot take criticism, there is no defending a filthy kitchen. It was just WAY too perfect, what with everything perfectly placed and labeled. Who knows.

I don't feel badly for them either. They are delusional by choice, IMO.

Did the business go under? Somebody mentioned the failing of the business. I hope they get seriously called on pulling the tips from the servers.

I would be interested in knowing what happened with the restaurant after this was over. I also get a weird feeling that she didn't make all those desserts. She had lied about having made some of the other things.

13. May 13, 2013 #13 of 199
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I don't think they are doing anything illegal by keeping the tips if they are paying them at/above minimum wage.

Usually positions that are "tipped" have a lower minimum hourly wage.

14. May 13, 2013 #14 of 199
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    if the male owner stated they have over 100 employees turned over in a year, wouldnt you think at least 1 would picket outside the store :)

i would think a sign saying owner keeps all tips would be factually correct...and then he could indeed confirm that 'everyone' is out to get him

15. May 13, 2013 #15 of 199
    inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Did they ever talk about the financials of the restaurant?
    This was the first time I don't remember ever hearing, "We're losing $$$$$ a month" and so on. I could have missed it though.

It was also the first time I've ever seen Ramsay like the food (the baked goods) aside from one other BBC Nightmares where he also liked the dessert from some place, but hated the food. (Turns out the desserts were made by someone other than that owner.)

The solution is clear.
    Amy should close the restaurant and open a bakery.

Problem solved.

16. May 13, 2013 #16 of 199
    FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Active Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Nope besides the $1 million invested into the store.

17. May 13, 2013 #17 of 199
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    This.

Incidentally, these people are not abnormal for Scottsdale. I couldn't get out of that city fast enough.

18. May 13, 2013 #18 of 199
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    This was going on long before Kitchen Nightmares. Here's a link to a story back in 2010 about how she reacted to a negative Yelp review.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2010/08/ouch_todays_hard_lesson_on_yel.php

It even made the local news back in 2010

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexQhKIx39Q[/media]

19. May 14, 2013 #19 of 199
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Wow, their facebook page is in pure meltdown mode right now. Kinda sad

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco
    Some examples. I'll skip over the more profane ones.

YOU DONT KNOW US!! WE WILL THRIVE! WE WILL OVERCOME! WE ARE STARTING OUR FAMILY, AND WE WILL TEACH OUR CHILD EXACTLY WHAT >>GOD<< WANTS IN THEIR PATH. WE WILL TEACH THEM HOW TO FIGHT AGAINST OPRESSORS LIKE YOU PEOPLE! WE WILL START A GENERATION OF TRUTHFULLNESS AND WE WILL FIGHT TO BRING PLACES LIKE, YELP AND REDDIT, AND HORRIBLE PEOPLE LIKE GORDON TO THE LIGHT

I AM WONDER WOMAN. I AM A GREAT CHEF, A GREAT WIFE, AND A GREAT MOM TO MY KIDS. AND WE WILL BE PARENTS TO A HUMAN KID, ONE DAY TO. WE WILL SHOW ALL OF YOU.

You are all little punks. Nothing. you are all nothing. We are laughing at you. All of you, just fools. We have God on our side, you just have your sites.

This is Samy. I am keeping note of all names here. We will be pursuing action against you legaly, and against reddit and yelp, for this plot you have come together on. you are all just punks.

20. May 14, 2013 #20 of 199
    DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    Meow...Meow...Meow