1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keith Olbermann to host new show on ESPN2, Premieres Aug. 26

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Jul 17, 2013.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is rather surprising. Keith Olbermann has rejoined the ESPN family and will host an hour show entitled Olbermann on ESPN2 that will premiere August 26 at 11 pm ET.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/keith-olbermann-espn2-late-night-show-premiere-date-august-2/

Interesting to note that he won't be in Bristol; the show will broadcast from the ABC/Disney Times Square Studios. Wonder if that's because the guys in Bristol don't want him there, or that he didn't want to go there? :)

I wonder how long this will last before it goes down in grand and glorious flames, as have all of the rest of Olbermann's shows?

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Maybe getting back to sports will be good for him.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

4. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    This.

The fact that his contract specifies he is not allowed to talk politics is amusing. If he can keep his anger about conservatives to himself and focus on stats and plays maybe he can be viewed as human being again and not a vile hate filled gas bag.

5. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    To me, he doesn't even have to keep it to just the stats and plays. If he wants to rant about sports issues, fine. To me, sports is purely entertainment. And people ranting about it one way or the other is just all part of the big show that sports is. I don't even care if I disagree with him on his sports rants.

6. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I'll agree with that.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree. Didn't he do SNF with Dan Patrick for a short time? So coming back to sports is not new to him. I'm sure I won't watch. There's enough blowhards on ESPN and other places who think they are the be all and end all of sports (or a particular sport). But if that's his shtick and he keeps it to sports, that's fine.

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's not what the linked article says.
    That said, I have seen Olbermann when he was doing "just sports".

Before he went National, Olbermann use to be a local sports anchor here and it was doing "just sports" that I decided that he was a pompous windbag that I didn't want to watch.

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    On the other hand, I think the Olbermann/Patrick years on "the big show" were the best years that SportsCenter has ever had. I understood, but was really disappointed when ESPN chose not to even mention him during the 25th Anniversary special.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The two of them changed that network forever. No longer did they just give the sports dry as the other SC hosts did (with the exception of perhaps Berman, who, I think by that time had stopped doing SC. But I'm not sure that was a good team for an older sports fan like me, who's not a fan of how everything in sports is an over the top extravaganza, where the game is now secondary.

11. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I assume they are doing the show from NYC because it will be easier to book guests like Letterman and Fallon do. It's for the convenience. Bristol is inconvenient for everybody that doesn't already work there.

Olberman is an interesting guy, and I hope this is an interesting show. I liked what Costas achieved in his late night show where it felt like you were listening in on a conversation and not being sold a product at every turn. I hope this is more like that than another version of PTI or Sportscenter.

12. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I lived in LA from 90-93 and I enjoyed what he did to make the local sports more interesting and missed him when he left.