1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kathy (talk show) spoilers OK

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sieglinde, Apr 20, 2012.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I watched the first episode of the Kathy Show. It is supposed to be a talk show and had some amusing segments but there were no real guests. How long is this thing going to last?

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Kathy who?

Kathy Griffin?

3. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Yeah, the show is called the Kathy Show. I should have made this clear. It is on Bravo on Thursday nights. Kathy Griffin is the hostess. They do it on at least one day tape delay because she says BleepK at least 5 times during the show. It is fairly raunchy even for basic cable. Her "guests" include three friends (?) of her and they discuss a variety of celebrity related topics. She then had her staff on as guests and then the best guest, her 91 year old mother. There were a few taped segments on her interviewing her already hired staff so these were just dumb questions not employment related. I will give it some more tries because I like her but if she doesn't get some real guests this is not going to last.

4. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Hmm... I already have too much crap to catch up on when I get home each week, but I should check it out at least once. She cracks me up.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    It repeats multiple times of course because it is on basic cable. :)

She has some good jokes.

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm a fan of KG and enjoy her comedy, so that's not an issue. The show over all, however, left me fast-forwarding a lot. Maybe it doesn't help that I don't watch the 'Housewife' shows. Maybe I had a different idea of what was going to go on and, at the risk of being drummed out of town, I have to say that I'm pretty much over Maggie. Is that bad?

7. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    It sounds like it's taped in her house if she only talks with her staff and her family.

Is this an evening or daytime show?

Is her reality show done?

8. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    It is a Thursday evening Bravo once a week talk show.
    Her reality show has been done for more than a year.
    Last year she did 4 stand up specials for Bravo.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED it.

If you are not a Kathy Griffin fan you probably won't feel the same.

Kathy riffs on popular culture and celebrity gossip/run-ins...
    so if the riff she is doing at the moment is something you aren't onboard with then an entire segment of this show (and her comedy act) can make you want to hit fast forward. I don't watch much of the Housewives either so I'm with you - but from what I was gathering this was the follow-out to a Housewives reunion show.

On the other hand - if you are familiar with something - then hilarity ensues.

I remember a few years ago I had just started watching Hoarders and then went to see Kathy live and her Hoarders section had me rolling on the floor.

I think it is a great balance between her standup act and her reality show.

Don't expect celebrity guests.
    It ain't going to happen.

9. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The show is taped in a studio, with an audience.

10. jilter

jilter Happy to be here.

Oct 4, 2002
    Sounds like a rip-off (homage?) to Chelsea Lately.

11. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I don't watch Housewifes and I've always been a mild fan of KG. This was very good. Lots of LOL moments. Someone above said she says BleepK at least 5 times. No. It was more like 500 times. Think Craig Ferguson on steroids. Or, Oprah with Tourette's.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    For me Kathy G = nails on a chalkboard.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I didn't get some of the references either as I don't watch Housewives etc. but it was still fun. No guests? This thing may not last.

14. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    it's the first show. But yes, they are gonna need guests. And more than just her mom.

15. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I agree - they need guests, not just a panel of audience members (or whatever that was). I really like Kathy and, if it were between this show and he D List show, I would wish for the D List show to return.

If it's going to be all about those wretched Housewife shows, there are other shows already about that (e.g. Andy Cohen's show).

16. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The second episode was a tad better than the first. They had three friends show up and a celebrity (who I had never heard of) cameo appearance. I liked the walk through the neighborhood and the neighborhood guests. I would love to know how many people are watching this. 100 maybe 200?

17. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Maybe I should have hung in. Shortly after the monologue segment I ditched and dropped my SP. :( I really like Kathy Griffin but find myself unable to warm up to this format. If she had guest stars it would be a lot different for me. Well, and maybe if I were a fan of the 'housewife' shows...

18. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought the second episode was not so great - Kathy seemed jittery and all over the place.

Last night's was excellent - some of the stuff she talked about she showed clips of so even if you don't know the reference you can get the joke.

and the big surprise last night was the big surprise guest(s).

after ragging on Wilson Phillips' Reality Show HOLD ON for the last 3 weeks - Wilson Phillips showed up.
    it was pretty funny.

19. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I haven't watched the third episode yet. Sounds good. Again, I think the 15 or 16 of us who watch the show may stick with it a while longer.