1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just took an amazon unbox survey, found this part interesting.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BlackBetty, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Below are the descriptions of ten (10) potential improvements to the Amazon Unbox service. Please read these descriptions and select the top three (3) improvements that would increase your use of the Amazon Unbox service.

Free Video Streaming with ads – The ability to watch movies and TV shows online within an Internet browser. Watching videos would not cost anything but would include advertisements.

Burn to DVD - The ability to burn purchased movies and TV show downloads to a DVD for playback on a DVD player. To burn videos to a DVD you would need to have access to a special DVD burner on your PC, and use a special type of DVD.

DVD & Instant Stream - The ability to purchase a DVD from Amazon.com and receive a streamed video of the same title you could instantly playback while you wait for your DVD to arrive. This would be included in the DVD price.

High-Definition Videos - The ability to purchase and watch High-Definition (HD) movies and TV shows.

DVD & Digital Copy - The ability to purchase a DVD from Amazon.com and, for a small additional fee, get a permanent digital copy in Your Media Library.

Hit Movie Subscription Service – The ability to watch a defined number of videos per month for a flat monthly fee, including top Hollywood titles. Not all movies would be available for viewing; however, the selection would be comparable to most pay movie channels (i.e. HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc).

Video Extras - The ability to select and watch video “extras” (i.e. DVD extras) when purchasing or renting a movie.

Paid Video Streaming without ads - The ability to immediately watch your purchased Unbox movies and TV shows on your PC within an Internet browser without commercials, instead of having to download them to your PC or TiVo.

Independent Film Subscription Service – The ability to watch a defined number of independent films per month for a flat monthly fee.

Browse your Unbox media library on your TiVo – The ability to access all of your purchased Unbox videos on the TiVo user interface.

20. Which potential improvement is the most likely to increase your use of the Amazon Unbox service?

21. Which potential improvement is the second most likely to increase your use of the Amazon Unbox service?

22. Which product improvement is the third most likely to increase your use of the Amazon Unbox service?

2. shady

shady Previously European

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    Damn, Potential Improvement

I was hoping they were going to release that any day now!

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Can you vote three times for the HD option? The digital copy option would be nice, but if there's much of a fee they'd be close to the DVD price.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #4 of 28
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Free Video Streaming with ads (add: ON THE TIVO) – The ability to watch movies and TV shows online within an Internet browser from the Tivo. Watching videos would not cost anything but would include advertisements.

Burn to DVD - The ability to burn purchased movies and TV show downloads to a DVD for playback on a DVD player. To burn videos to a DVD you would need to have access to a special DVD burner on your PC, and use a special type of DVD.

High-Definition Videos - The ability to purchase and watch High-Definition (HD) movies and TV shows.

5. Mar 1, 2008 #5 of 28
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Burn DVDs from a TiVo DVD Recorder :up:

Does anyone have a link to the survey? I couldn't find anything on the Unbox page.

6. Mar 1, 2008 #6 of 28
    TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Blackbetty - Was the theme or tone of questions more relevant to the use on one's computer or were some specifically related to the Tivo Unbox services? The link I have provided below is question 19, which was relevant from a Computer use perspective:

http://gizmodo.com/362637/amazon-unb...ls-coming-soon

I am real curious to know their intent to improve the breath of services related to Tivo users and more specifically, S3 / HD users as I have been hard on them in this forum regarding lack of true Widescreen, HD and Dolby 5.1 content.

7. Mar 1, 2008 #7 of 28
    javabird

javabird Active Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Where did you find the survey?

8. Mar 2, 2008 #8 of 28
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    it was sent to me via email. On Friday.

9. Mar 2, 2008 #9 of 28
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    I am going to let DaveZatz give a go at this question. I sent him the link to the survey and it sounds like he is interested in doing a write up on his site.

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    for the blog, i try to be a bit more formal, think about things longer prior to posting, use spell check, and leave things open for discussion... however, on the forum i'll say this now without much reflection (or capital letters) - to improve quality on tivo, they should probably move away from MPEG-2/Series2 if they're sticking with Amazon for content - the transcoding to MPEG2 has often led to display issues, and as Dog mentioned the aspect ratio kinda sucks unless you're on a 4:3 SD set. as an aside, it's possible to do SD downloads better (see Xbox, apple tv, or Vudu) and even with DD 5.1 (xbox, vudu) withOUT going HD if the studios provide/allow it and if there's interest

the tivo-related questions seemed more specific to how we're feeling about the ordering experience, whereas the improvements seemed specific to PC playback :( tivo hasn't clued me in to their HD intentions (or not) with Unbox - i bring it up nearly every time i talk to them ;)

11. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    Hi-Def Videos, Burn to DVD, and Independent Film Subscription Service.

12. Johnstone

Johnstone TiVoNaut

Feb 17, 2002
    Bloomfield, CT
    As usual with these types of surveys, I didn't find any of the suggested answers to be compelling.

I'd use Amazon Unbox more often if the selection of movies available for rental on the TiVo was better.

13. dorian

dorian Resident Noob

Feb 16, 2008
    Mountain...
    HD - If they don't provide HD real soon they won't be taken serious. Otherwise, they may as well be shipping VHS tapes.

Independent Film Subscription service - Independent film promotions are why I stay with Netflix. If someone came out with a subscription service for Independent films my friends and I would beat a path to their virtual store.

Hit movie subscription service - I like renting, don't have enough room to own (on my hard drive nor on my shelf).

14. mackworth

mackworth Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Haven't they missed an obvious one: a 24 hour time limit to finish the movie is not realistic for many people.

15. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    HD, 5.1, playback on a PS3.

16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    I agree. 30 or 36 hours would be better to finish watching on consecutive days. But the studios/content owners are dictating those terms...

17. pilotbob

pilotbob New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Florida
    Why, seems like 24 hours is plenty of time to watch a 2 hour movie.

BOb

18. kunikos

kunikos MOAR HD

Jul 24, 2007
    Reno, NV
    1) HD rentals to your TiVo
    2) Browse Unboxed from TiVo

19. mike3775

mike3775 New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Nope. If I barely use it now, this will not get me even remotely interested in it

If I could play it in a regular DVD/HD/BluRay player I would go for it, but I do not watch movies on my PC. I watch them on a TV from the comfort of my couch or Lazy Boy chair. And no special disc's either. I want to be able to use my DVD+R, DVD+R DL, or even the BluRay discs as well, I do not want to have to buy a special disc just to burn a downloaded movie when I have spindles full of blank DVD's already that I can use instead.

If these were combined into one, I would be all over this in a heartbeat.

If I wanted the movie, I would just buy the DVD instead. Thats the main reason I never use Unbox now, because instead of paying what I pay to rent, I simply buy the DVD and have a phyical copy in case I want to watch it again later and do not want to wait for it to finish downloading

I already get that with my VOD through Comcast. Why would I want the same with downloading. And with On Demand, I can actually record them and save them to DVD already. Can't with Unbox.

I rarely watch the extra's on DVD, so why would this make me use it more often?

See my post above. I DO NOT watch movies on my PC.

I have the IFC channel and rarely watch it.

I have only used it once, and that was for Saw III, and I have that movie on DVD now. So not a big issue to me.

HD Downloads.

Ability to burn to a regular DVD, not some stupid special disc.

The ability to buy a DVD and be able to download at same time