1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just moved and have Optimum DVR+, is it worth getting TIVO?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by samsgood, Jul 25, 2012.

1. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Hey, any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

We are in the process of moving and will be at our new address on Tuesday of next week. We had cable come out (Cablevision/Optimum) and install our cable before so that we would be set to go on the day we moved in. Now, they installed a DVR+, which I guess is their new and standard DVR that everyone has now. I am in Brooklyn (NY) by the way.

Anyways, I have been browsing the net and have read some real HORROR stories about the Optimum DVR+. Things like... some recordings delete themselves, other things do not record, only recording portions of programs, audio/video synch issues, the box freezing a whole lot. I am really nervous about this since it doesn't seem like a small amount of people experiencing this. It sounds like MANY, although it could just be that the only people writing reviews and such are those experiencing issues.

So, I have to ask. Should I give it a go and see if the same problems happen to me or should I just go ahead buy a TIVO premiere and set that up right from the get go?

Again...any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If you read through this forum you would think the same thing about TiVo. Truth is people only post when they are having problems so it ends up seeming like everyone is having problems. I would give the DVR a chance and see if it suits your needs. There is a large upfront cost when going with TiVo especially if you get a lifetime subscription (which I would suggest - it pays for itself in the long run).

3. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I see your point. People do complain when they have problems (which is justified), so I can see where complaining would happen in either case. But the real thing that is getting me and this isn't in my original post because I just learned about it is that the Optimum DVR+ is a "cloud system" where your recordings are NOT actually stored on the machine but instead, stored at Optimum's main offices. That might be why some of those customers experience issues with their recordings. This alone is making me feel as though TIVO is the much better option.

4. tneison

tneison New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I haven't heard of cloud storage for a DVR yet - that is interesting. I'm not sure why a cable co would do that instead of just offering VOD. It seems they are taking on some serious complications. Maybe your cable co doesn't offer VOD though.

The concept of cloud storage (for anything) is great, of course you just have to have a fast and stable internet connection for it to work or it will drive you nuts.

5. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    No, they do offer VOD. I guess with these new DVR's, they just figured the cloud storage is easier. But I think it is causing people a whole list of problems. When your recordings are being saved outside of your home, there is a bigger chance of things messing up I guess.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I googled "Optimum DVR Plus" and it's not really a DVR in the traditional sense, It simply adds DVR like capabilities to their set top boxes, using their servers for storage. Sort of a personalized VOD. You are limited to 24 hours of HD or 100 hours of SD, so I would guess @80-100GB of space per account, with the HD content fairly highly compressed. It's possible they are doing some kind of recording sharing where any specific program is only recorded once. Looks like it has a single, 15-minute live buffer. I doubt there are any padding options.

Other factors to consider. see if you can find out if they copy protect most of the content if it is recorded on a TiVo and how good their CableCARD support is.

7. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    TY for that. Can you explain a bit what you mean by... if they copy protect most of the content if it is recorded on a TIVO? Do you mean, the TIVO wouldn't work?

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The TiVo would still work fine, you just wouldn't be able transfer recordings to another TiVo or your computer. You could stream content between Premieres. If you have only 1 TV and hadn't planned on transferring anything, it is not an issue.

9. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Well, I was going to connect my DVD player/recorder to the TIVO box but I doubt I would be able to record anything to a blank DVD-R due to copyright protection issues. I am expecting that to be something I can't do. I was able to do it with FIOS and their DVR but I doubt Cablevision/Optimum will allow it.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you do go with a TiVo and they don't copy protect everything, they're are better ways to get it to a DVD. If they do copy protect, then your method might still work.

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My cable co copy protects just about everything, but I have no trouble recording all programs on my recorder connected to the TiVo. Works well since it preserves widescreen unlike some DVRs. Pretty hard for the TiVo to know that you are recording its signal when it's going out over composite.

12. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Real time dubbing to a DVD is a PITA.

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, but one of the cheaper available options if everything is copy protected. Or it is a non-TiVo DVR.

14. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    What is PTA? I am sorry for my ignorance.

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I could be mistaken but just assumed it was a typo and that there should have been an "I" between the "P" and the "T".

16. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Oh. LOL. A pain in the ... yeah. HAHA.
    Well, I have always done real time dubbing to my DVD recorder with blank DVD-R discs and even though it could be annoying, it has always worked for me. But I went ahead and just thought that I would not be able to anymore with Optimum. If I can, awesome. If not, oh well. I'll live.

But back to the original thread topic (I apologize if I made the thread go in a few different directions), I went ahead and ordered a premiere. I also went to my local Optimum store and returned their DVR+ for a cable card and I am doing the installation now. :)

I am really excited.

17. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Sorry 'bout that; I fixed the original post.

Real time dubbing is a work around for sure; but ties the TiVo up for the recording duration.
    So are you dubbing to DVD with component (yPrPb), composite, or S-Video?

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Seeing as how Cablevision is notorious for copy protecting almost everything, this is probably his best option.

19. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Composite.

20. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Composite is the absolute lowest quality of video output; but if you're ok with it.
    Then a Premier box is going to meet or exceed your DVR expectations. As the TiVo user interface, IMO, is second to none in the world of DVR.

Some will argue that some Home Theater PC options are better, but that has not been my experience.

There is also the WAF (wife approval factor) to consider.