1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumbled output after trying to connect HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ThirdEye, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ThirdEye

ThirdEye New Member

Sep 14, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    So I finally got into the 21st century and bought an LCD TV that could support HDMI. Up until this point I've had my S3 connected to a 36" CRT through component cables. I connected my HDMI cable while the component cables were still connected and now the video output is jumbled (audio is fine - see attachments). However when I reboot, it's fine (also see attached), but only up until it's completely done rebooting. Note this is still the component connection to the CRT. I haven't gotten the HDMI to the LCD to work yet.

Is there anything I can do?

Attached Files:

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe the problem is the resolution, the TV may not be able to take 1080i, the Tivo is currently set to. Try a lower resolution, like 720p, or 480i.

Some TVs do strange things when it receives a resolution it can't handle.

What model Series 3 do you have? Is there a format button on the front? Press it a few times.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Eliminate the variable. Don't try to use both outputs at the same time.
    Disconnect the component cables when you connect via HDMI.

4. ThirdEye

ThirdEye New Member

Sep 14, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    ThAbtO, that did it. My CRT supports 1080i and for some reason when I plugged in the HDMI cable the resolution must've set to something else. Thank you!!