1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnny Carson: King of Late Night - Anyone gonna watch?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, May 14, 2012.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is on tonight on PBS American Masters.

To me Carson has always been one of the most interesting people ever on TV. While I was never a huge late night fan, I did enjoy watching Johnny from time to time. The number of comedians he gave their first break to is in the dozens if not hundreds.

2. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Tivo set! Thanks for the heads-up.

3. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Yeah, me too thanks!

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Didn't know about it. Thanks! Got it.

5. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Thank you for the reminder!

6. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I saw a preview. It does not look terribly complimentary to Johnny.

7. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    My Dish EPG shows it repeating at 2 a.m. saturday 5/19. Tonights showing has too many conflicts.

Incidentally if you remember, In the 1960's prior to the tonight show Johnny hosted "who do you trust" and "do you trust your wife", Ed McMahon was with him even then.

After graduating high school I was an on-foot messenger in Manhattan. The two shows were taped from the little theatre on West 43rd st. They always handed out tickets in the times square area. The audience warm-up always started the same way. Johnny would greet the audience holding a half full styrofoam cup of coffee, come to the lip of the stage and hand it to an audience member. I wish I still had the cup.

Meanwhile Ed would be reading a show introduction from a single page. Johnny set fire to the end of the script as a gag. I attended the tapings many times and the routine never changed.

8. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I'll definitely watch this.

To me, Carson was the best at his craft on his show.
    Off stage? From what I've read he seemed like a troubled and difficult person to deal with.

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    of course I am.. I watch most American Experience shows.. at least eventually (and usually faster than realtime).

It would be cool (but I doubt it'll happen) if they somehow found some of the 'lost' shows from the decades they erased (most before the late 1970s IIRC).. and not just show the same Ed Ames clip we've seen a million times.

10. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Just curious, do you prefer a show such as this be complimentary or honest?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I prefer it to be neither a hatchet-job nor a panegyric. Hopefully this one will simply be accurate.

12. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    I learned a new word today :)

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was torn between "panegyric" and "hagiography." :D

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I haven't seen it yet, but from the NY Times review, it appears to be fair. You'll have folks (Drew Carey is an example) who glow about how Johnny gave them a break and others who will talk about how difficult he was off camera.

One think I always remember about when Carson was king was how he would do cameos, usually uncredited on shows from time to time and it was usually a big deal when he did, because of who he was.

15. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I've only watched the first hour and thought it was pretty good. No real new info however.

16. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Honest, of course. Always. I was just making an observation.

You don't often see documentaries of beloved deceased celebrities that take the honest route.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I had a night shift job where I could watch TV in the late 70's. I tried watching the show but it was interrupted very many times by commercials in the middle of a conversation and then the conversation obviously kept going during the commercial and did not continue afterwards. I gave up after just a few episodes.

18. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Watched it last night. Really good profile on the man and they balanced the his troubles and accomplishments quite well. Also a nice collection of comedians and talk show hosts lending their input.

It was pretty apparent how virtually every still photo they used of Carson in the first half of the piece showed him with a cigarette in his hand.

The only thing that was hard to watch was watching Jay Leno talk about Carson. Argh. Yes, they got along at times, and yes Leno talked from a comedian's perspective appearing on the Tonight Show, but when Jay chimed in on Carson after he left the tonight show? C'mon. He hated you, Jay. He never forgave Jay for Jay stupidly taking the advice of his agent Helen Kushnick and not thanking and acknowledging Johnny on his first episode. Just own it like Joan Rivers has. It's pretty telling that Carson wrote jokes for Dave and appeared on Dave's show, yet he never did a cameo on Leno's version of the Tonight Show.

just seeing many of the old openings and sets brought back a lot of memories. Good piece.

19. USAFSSO

USAFSSO New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    I was good. The only two late night hosts to like each other were Johnny and David. A lot of hate with the others.

I was kind of surprised how emotional Drew Cary was. You could also see Letterman was. And Conan doesn't hold any "grudges".

He left this world a great man.