1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Oliver to host 8 eps. of The Daily Show during summer

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1 of 20
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
  2. Mar 5, 2013 #2 of 20
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I like him, but I hope hope hope it's not the beginning of the end.

3. Mar 5, 2013 #3 of 20
    pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    It's eight weeks, not eight episodes. So that's 32 episodes. Although I saw somewhere else it will start in June, so it might only be 28 episodes if they take of the week of Independence Day.

I'm cautiously optimistic of John Oliver filling it. It will be a very different role for him though and might take him a bit to get settled. I remember the first month of The Colbert Report was really hard to watch. Steven was still finding his character and was clearly very nervous to be in the big chair. Hopefully it'll be a bit easier for John Oliver, as it is a bit more of an ensemble cast on the Daily Show.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #4 of 20
    YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
  5. Mar 5, 2013 #5 of 20
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah that just doesn't sound good. Although I would bet that if this forum were around in the 90's there would be a thread decrying John Stewart taking over from Craig Kilborn. They should get John Hodgeman to do it.

6. Mar 5, 2013 #6 of 20
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    My thoughts exactly.

It will be interesting to see how the movie turns out.

7. Mar 5, 2013 #7 of 20
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think John Oliver will do a great job. The real question will be whether the writers will change their stuff to fit JO's style, or if he'll basically get the same stuff Stewart would get and then be expected to mimic Stewart's style. Hopefully he'll quickly be able to bring his own style to the role.

8. Mar 5, 2013 #8 of 20
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Oliver has guest hosted before, IIRC.

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 20
    YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    MSNBC says 12 weeks. :(

Yeah, he hosted when Jon's youngest was born, I think.

10. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    No on Hodgeman for me. I think he's very funny but small doses go a long way. I would NOT want to listen to his shtick for a full episode, much less eight weeks of episodes.

I'm interested to see how Oliver does though.

11. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I think it'll be interesting to see a different style, and how they handle the transitions.

12. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    To clarify for some: he's gone for 12 weeks, but the show will only be doing new eps for 8 of those weeks.

13. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    John will make for a nice change of pace. I listen to his podcast all the time, I doubt he'll disappoint in the "anchor" chair. What they should do is start off the first episode without Jon by bringing back Craig and act like the whole Jon Stewart era never happened.

14. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    Oliver would be great, he's my favorite among TDS "reporters". I wonder if Comedy Central is using this as an opportunity to evaluate Oliver to spin off a new show he'd host like they did with Colbert.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Of the current ensemble, He's the best choice. I think Corell and Colbert both had done host stints at various times when Jon was on vacation.

What I think they SHOULD have done is do what SNL did after Chevy Chase left, use two people to host, so gives the writers something different to work with and they'd be less inclined to write as if Jon was still there. I'd say Oliver and Samantha Bee.

Another way they could have gone is guest hosts each week, using some of the more frequent guests. Dennis Leary, Brian Williams to name a few who could definitely pull it off. I'm sure this would be more expensive than using Oliver though.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Oh, God no on John Hodgeman. I'd rather sit through Lewis Black before I get bored to death by Hodgeman and I barely like Lewis Black.

17. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Active Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Yeah, Hodgeman is fine in 60-second doses. He gets really annoying and unfunny really quickly after that.

18. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Non election year, summer, not much political news going on, best time for him to take off. Oliver is funny, we'll see how he does. Could be an audition for his own show, like Colbert.

19. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    OK well I guess I have a dry sense of humor. What will make it or break it for me with Oliver will be the interviews. I really like the way John Stewart does interviews, especially with controversial people. If John Oliver can add a degree of seriousness to his interviews, it will probably be OK with me.

20. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I hope that they can get Patrick Stewart to fill in as a guest correspondent for Oliver a couple of times.